Towards Smart Open Dynamic Fleets
Nowadays, vehicles of modern fleets are endowed with advanced devices that allow the operators of a control center to have global knowledge about fleet status, including existing incidents. Fleet management systems support real-time decision making at the control center so as to maximize fleet performance. In this paper, setting out from our experience in dynamic coordination of fleet management systems, we focus on fleets that are open, dynamic and highly autonomous. Furthermore, we propose how to cope with the scalability problem as the number of vehicles grows. We present our proposed architecture for open fleet management systems and use the case of taxi services as example of our proposal.
KeywordsMultiagent systems Coordination Open systems Dynamic fleet management Dynamic optimization
Work partially supported by Spanish Government through the projects iHAS (grant TIN2012-36586-C03) and SURF (grant TIN2015-65515-C4-X-R), the Autonomous Region of Madrid through grant S2013/ICE-3019 (“MOSI-AGIL-CM”, co-funded by EU Structural Funds FSE and FEDER) and URJC-Santander (30VCPIGI15).
- 1.Dablanc, L.: Goods transport in large european cities: difficult to organize, difficult to modernize. Transp. Res. Part A: Policy Pract. 41(3), 280–285 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Wren, A., Carr, J.D.: Computers in Transport Planning and Operation. Ian Allan Publishing, Limited, London (1971)Google Scholar
- 9.Ichoua, S., Gendreau, M., Potvin, J.Y.: Planned route optimization for real-time vehicle routing. In: Zeimpekis, V., Tarantilis, C.D., Giaglis, G.M., Minis, I. (eds.) Dynamic Fleet Management: Concepts, Systems, Algorithms & Case Studies. Operations Research/Computer Science Interfaces, vol. 38, pp. 1–18. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Modgil, S., et al.: The added value of argumentation. In: Ossowski, S. (ed.) Agreement Technologies, pp. 357–403. Springer, Netherlands (2012)Google Scholar
- 24.Koster, A., Sabater-Mir, J., Schorlermmer, M.: Argumentation and trust. In: Ossowski, S. (ed.) Agreement Technologies, pp. 441–451. Springer, Netherlands (2012)Google Scholar
- 26.Ossowski, S., Hernandez, J.Z., Belmonte, M.V., Fernandez, A., García-Serrano, A., Pérez-de-la-Cruz, J.L., Serrano, J.M., Triguero, F.: Decision support for traffic management based on organisational and communicative multiagent abstractions. Transp. Res. Part C 13, 272–298 (2005)CrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar