Fractal Analysis of Empirical and Simulated Traffic Time Series
Time series can show signs of fractal and multi-fractal behaviour. An analysis from this perspective can unearth features of time series that remain hidden for analysis with standard statistics. We analyse the multi-fractal spectra of traffic time series with the help of Multi-fractal Detrended Fluctuation Analysis (MDFA). Empirical time series of traffic flows and velocities measured by loop detectors are compared with time series gathered from traffic simulations. As a second focus, we analyse multi-fractal features of time series from different vehicle classes, i.e. passenger and transport traffic.
Part of the work on this paper has been supported by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) within the Collaborative Research Center SFB 876 ‘Providing Information by Resource-Constrained Analysis’, project B4 ‘Analysis and Communication for the Dynamic Traffic Prognosis’.
- 2.Chrobok, R., Pottmeier, A., Wahle, J., Schreckenberg, M.: Traffic forecast using a combination of on-line simulation and traffic data. In: Fukui, M., Sugiyama, Y., Schreckenberg, M., Wolf, D. (eds.) Traffic and Granular Flow 01, pp. 345–350. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Davies, S., Hall, P.: Fractal analysis of surface roughness by using spatial data. J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B (Stat. Methodol.) 61(1) (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Habel, L., Schreckenberg, M.: Asymmetric lane change rules for a microscopic highway traffic model. In: Cellular Automata—11th International Conference on Cellular Automata for Research and Industry, ACRI 2014, pp. 620–629 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Kantelhardt, J.W., Zschiegner, S.A., Stanley, H.E.: Multifractal detrended uctuation analysis of nonstationary time series. Phys. A 316, 87–114 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Vojac, S., Vehel, J., Danech, M.: Multifractal description of road traffic structure. In: 7th IFAC/IFORS Symposium on Transportation Systems: Theory and Application of Advanced Technology (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, J., Shang, P., Cui, X.: Multiscale multifractal analysis of traffic signals to uncover richer structures. Phys. Rev. E 89(3), 032916 (2014)Google Scholar