Improved Approximation Algorithms for Hitting 3-Vertex Paths
We study the problem of deleting a minimum cost set of vertices from a given vertex-weighted graph in such a way that the resulting graph has no induced path on three vertices. This problem is often called cluster vertex deletion in the literature and admits a straightforward 3-approximation algorithm since it is a special case of the vertex cover problem on a 3-uniform hypergraph. Very recently, You et al.  described an efficient 5/2-approximation algorithm for the unweighted version of the problem. Our main result is a 7/3-approximation algorithm for arbitrary weights, using the local ratio technique. We further conjecture that the problem admits a 2-approximation algorithm and give some support for the conjecture. This is in sharp constrast with the fact that the similar problem of deleting vertices to eliminate all triangles in a graph is known to be UGC-hard to approximate to within a ratio better than 3, as proved by Guruswami and Lee .
KeywordsWeighted Graph Vertex Cover Subgraph Isomorphic Vertex Cover Problem Local Ratio
- 3.Anudhyan, B., Marek, C., Tomasz, K., Marcin, P.: A fast branching algorithm for cluster vertex deletion. In: Hirsch, Edward A., Kuznetsov, Sergei O., Pin, Jean-Éric, Vereshchagin, Nikolay K. (eds.) CSR 2014. LNCS, vol. 8476, pp. 111–124. Springer, Heidelberg (2014). arXiv:1306.3877
- 7.Guruswami, V., Lee, E.: Inapproximability of feedback vertex set for bounded length cycles. ECCC:TR14-006
- 8.Guruswami, V., Lee, E.: Inapproximability of \(H\)-transversal/packing. arXiv:1506.06302
- 12.Mnich, M., Williams, V.V., Végh, L.A.: A \(7, 3\)-approximation for feedback vertex sets in tournaments. arXiv:1511.01137
- 14.You, J., Wang, J., Cao, Y.: Approximate association via dissociation. arXiv:1510.08276