Modeling of Consumption Data for Forecasting in Automated Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Systems
The Smart Grid is a new paradigm that aims at improving the efficiency, reliability and economy of the power grid by integrating ICT infrastructure into the legacy grid networks at the generation, transmission and distribution levels. Automatic Metering Infrastructure (AMI) systems comprise the entire gamut of resources from smart meters to heterogeneous communication networks that facilitate two-way dissemination of energy consumption information and commands between the utilities and consumers. AMI is integral to the implementation of smart grid distribution services such as Demand Response (DR) and Distribution Automation (DA). The reliability of these services is heavily dependent on the integrity of the AMI data. This paper investigates the modeling of AMI data using machine learning approaches with the objective of load forecasting of individual consumers. The model can also be extended for detection of anomalies in consumption patterns introduced by false data injection attacks, electrical events and unauthorized load additions or usage modes.
KeywordsAutomated metering infrastructure Smart grid Load forecasting Distribution side management Soft computing Artificial intelligence
- 1.Meters, S.: Smart meter systems: a metering industry perspective. An Edison Electric Institute-Association of Edison Illuminating Companies-Utilities Telecom Council White Paper, A Joint Project of the EEI and AEIC Meter Committees, Edison Electric Institute (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Balakrishna, P. et al.: Analysis on AMI system requirements for effective convergence of distribution automation and AMI systems. In: 2014 6th IEEE Power India International Conference (PIICON) (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Deng, P., Yang, L.: A secure and privacy-preserving communication scheme for advanced metering infrastructure. In: 2012 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, J. et al.: A key management scheme for secure communications of advanced metering infrastructure. In: Communications in Computer and Information Science Applied Informatics and Communication, pp. 430–438 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Guruprasad, S. et al.: A learning approach for identification of refrigerator load from aggregate load signal. In: 2014 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI) (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Krishna, V.B. et al.: PCA-based method for detecting integrity attacks on advanced metering infrastructure. In: Quantitative Evaluation of Systems Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 70–85 (2015)Google Scholar
- 18.Gooijer, J.G.D., Hyndman, R.J.: 25 years of time series forecasting. Int. J. Forecast. 22(3), 443–473 (2006)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.