Leisure-Time Activities and Lifelong Learning
This chapter is focused on the topic of lifelong learning and its role as the part of leisure-time activities of adults. As lifelong learning belongs to the most important characteristic features of the current so-called learning society it ought to be not only the topic of national and transnational educational policy documents, but also a more obvious part of the leisure-time activities of adults.
This chapter poses significant questions connected with the current situation in lifelong learning for adults, such as the attitudes of the adult population towards learning opportunities: primarily regarding finding, choosing and using the opportunities (or turning them down); then, the role of the state and institutions in supporting adults in their participation in learning opportunities, and so on. To answer these questions, there is a discussion of the results of research of adult learning carried out in national and international frameworks.
KeywordsLifelong learning Learning society Attitudes towards lifelong learning Adult learning
- Benkő, Z. (2007). Tradition and modernity in the life-style of the families of the Visegrád countries. Szeged/Katowice/Hradec Králové: Nitra/SZEK Gyula Juhász Higher Education Publisher.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (1995). White paper on education and training. Teaching and learning towards the learning society. Available at http://europa.eu/documents/comm/white_papers/pdf/com95_590_en.pdf. Accessed 10 Sept 2013.
- European Commission. (2000). A memorandum on lifelong learning. Available at. http://www.bologna-berlin2003.de/pdf/MemorandumEng.pdf. Accessed 10 Sept 2013.Google Scholar
- Komenský, J. A. (1966). De rerum humanarum emendatione consultatio catholica. Tomus 2, Pampediam, Panglottiam, Panorthosiam, Pannuthesiam. Praha: Academia.Google Scholar
- MŠMT. (2011). Výsledky šetření Labour Force Survey 2010. Available at www.msmt.cz/vzdelavani/dalsi-vzdelavani/vysledky-setreni. Accessed 10 Sept 2013.
- Rabušicová, M., & Rabušic, L. et al. (2008). Učíme se po celý život? O vzdělávání dospělých v České republice. [Adult Education in the Czech Republic] Brno: Masarykova univerzita.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (1996). Learning: The treasure within. Report to UNESCO of the International Commission on Education for the Twenty-first Century. Available at http://www.unesco.org/delors/. Accessed 10 Sept 2013.