Towards a Generic Resource Booking Management System
Resource booking (the act of reserving of resources in advance) is an important component of planning-related activities. Typically, this is managed by a Booking Management System (BMS) which aims at controlling the access of people to resources at a specified future time. However, an issue common to BMSs is that they are typically modelled and developed to tightly fit the requirements of some specific contexts (use cases). This can lead to lack of reusability of existing BMSs. To address this issue, we propose a set of basic and generic components of BMSs, as well as how these components can be flexibly modelled to satisfy different booking contexts. Such components include resources, bookings, booking constraints, booking workflows, time. We believe that the consideration of these components by developers can lead to implementation of reusable BMSs for organizations whose requirements are not yet satisfied in existing BMSs.
KeywordsResource booking Resource scheduling Reservation
We would like to thank the members of the Biodiversity Exploratories for making their data available via our data repository, BExIS.
Further, we thank Christiane Fischer giving support through the central office, the Local Management Team, and Markus Fischer, Eduard Linsenmair, Dominik Hessenmöller, Jens Nieschulze, Daniel Prati, Ingo Schöning, François Buscot, Ernst-Detlef Schulze, Wolfgang W. Weisser and the late Elisabeth Kalko for their role in setting up the Biodiversity Exploratories project. Among these, special thanks are due to Jens Nieschulze and Ernst-Detlef Schulze for initiating and developing BExIS for the first years of the Exploratories. The work has been (partly) funded by the DFG Priority Program 1374 “Infrastructure-Biodiversity-Exploratories” (BR 2315/7-2).
- 1.Coley, C.T., Nessland, K.S., Leonhardt, T.F., Barry, C.J., Wilson, M.F., Nettuno, A.N.: Systems and methods for on-line scheduling of appointments and other resources. US Patent 8,671,009 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.CWT Travel Management Institute: Business Traveler Services - Finding the right fit (2011). http://www.carlsonwagonlit.com/export/sites/cwt/en/global/insights/travel-management-institute/pdf/lever1_en.pdf. Accessed on 15 August 2015
- 3.AppointmentPlus: Manual vs automated appointment scheduling (2012). https://www.appointment-plus.com/pdf/resources/manual_vs_automated_appointment_scheduling.pdf. Accessed on 15 August 2015
- 4.Landvogt, M.: Online booking engines for small and medium-sized enterprises as a tool for improved distribution and yield management in New Zealand’s tourism industry. In: Proceedings of New Zealand Tourism and Hospitality Conference, pp. 191–198 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Anderegg, D., Zhang, X., Berger, T, Malicovscaia, I.: Evaluation of Table Reservation Systems for Restaurants, Lucerne School of Business (2014). https://www.gastroprofessional.ch/dbFile/295694/Evaluation_of_Table_Reservation.pdf. Accessed on 15 August 2015
- 7.Kraigher P.: High Level Assessment Scheduling Software, Report for the University of British Columbia (2010). http://www.students.ubc.ca/mura/tasks/sites/classroomservices/cache/file/07B84FD2-C29E-CEA0-7CA6BFA8E80E9F4D.pdf. Accessed on 15 August 2015
- 8.Maiti, A., Maxwell, A.D., Kist, A.A.: An overview of system architectures for remote laboratories. In: TALE, pp. 26–29 (2013). doi: 10.1109/TALE.2013.6654520
- 9.Singh, A., Kamath, R.: An integrated property & guest management system, Infosys White Paper (2013). http://www.infosys.com/industries/hospitality-leisure/white-papers/Documents/guest-management-system.pdf
- 10.Lu, K.M., Hamid, S.T.A.: Conceptual Design of Web-Based Appointment Management System using Object WebML. Information Technologies and Applications in Education (ISITAE’07). IEEE Conference Proceeding, pp. 354–359 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Leach, R.L.: Software Reuse: Methods, Models, and Costs. McGraw-Hill, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Dorn, J., Werthner, H.: Service‐oriented resource management. In: Proceedings of the 41st Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhou, F., Chusho, T.: A web application framework for reservation systems and its reusability evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 2009 IAENG International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2009), pp. 1027–1032, March 2009Google Scholar
- 14.Wolf, L.C., Steinmetz, R.: Concepts for reservation in advance. Kluwer J. Multimedia Tools Appl. 4(3) (1997)Google Scholar