An Advanced Texture Analysis Method for Image Sharpening Detection
Sharpening is a kind of basic yet widely utilized digital image processing techniques designed and utilized to pursue better image quality from human visual point of view. In image forensics it is required to detect this kind of operation. Huge progress has been made in this area in recent years. Overshoot artifact, as a unique phenomenon occurring on image edges after sharpening, is important in sharpening detection. In this paper, an advanced scheme for overshoot artifact determination is proposed to boost the detection performance in the case of mildor overshoot artifact-controlled sharpening, Several groups of experiments have been conducted to corroborate the new scheme possesses the best ability for blind sharpening detection regardless of the strength of overshoot artifact.
KeywordsImage forensics Edge perpendicular binary code Overshoot artifact Sharpening detection
The authors sincerely appreciate the help from Dr Gang Cao and Professor Yao Zhao for kindly offering the code of  for comparison.
- 4.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Cao, G., Zhao, Y., Ni, R.: Detection of image sharpening based on histogram aberration and ringing artifacts. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, ICME 2009, pp. 1026–1029. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Xu, G., Shi, Y.Q.: Camera model identification using local binary patterns. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), pp. 392–397. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Ding, F., Zhu, G., Shi, Y.: A novel method for detecting image sharpening based on local binary pattern. In: International Workshop on Digital Forensics and Watermaking, IWDW (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Canny, J.F.: Finding edges and lines in images. Massachusetts Institute of Technology Report 1 (1983)Google Scholar