Inflation: Observations and Attractors
In these lecture notes, we present the latest status of CMB observations and outline a particular set of inflationary models to explain these data. As an introduction, we provide the necessary background to understand the Planck results on the temperature fluctuations of the CMB. We then explain how these results can be interpreted in terms of the number of e-folds during inflation. Finally, we discuss theoretical models that underpin this interpretation and yield robust predictions for future CMB observables.
KeywordsCosmic Microwave Background Quantum Fluctuation Inflationary Model Hubble Radius Inflaton Field
We are grateful to our collaborators John Joseph Carrasco, Mario Galante, Juan Garcia-Bellido, Renata Kallosh and Andrei Linde, who have all contributed in a major way to the results described in the last chapters. Moreover, DR would like to thank the organization of the school on “Theoretical Frontiers in Black Holes and Cosmology” in Natal, Brasil, from June 8 to 12, 2015, for a stimulating atmosphere.
- 2.S. Dodelson, Modern Cosmology (Academic Press, Amsterdam, 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.D. Baumann, Inflation, in Physics of the large and the small, TASI 09, proceedings of the Theoretical Advanced Study Institute in Elementary Particle Physics, Boulder, Colorado, USA, 1–26 June 2009 (2011) pp. 523-686, arXiv:0907.5424 [hep-th]
- 19.W. Hu, Lecture Notes on CMB Theory: From Nucleosynthesis to Recombination. arXiv:0802.3688 [astro-ph]
- 20.P.A.R. Ade et al., Planck Collaboration, Planck 2015 results. XIII. Cosmological parameters. arXiv:1502.01589 [astro-ph.CO]
- 21.P.A.R. Ade et al., Planck Collaboration, Planck 2015 results. XX. Constraints on inflation. arXiv:1502.02114 [astro-ph.CO]
- 23.V. Mukhanov, Quantum cosmological perturbations: predictions and observations. Eur. Phys. J. C 73, 2486 (2013) arXiv:1303.3925 [astro-ph.CO]
- 25.J. Garcia-Bellido, D. Roest, Large-\(N\) running of the spectral index of inflation. Phys. Rev. D 89(10), 103527 (2014) arXiv:1402.2059 [astro-ph.CO]
- 28.P. Creminelli, S. Dubovsky, D.L. Nacir, M. Simonovic, G. Trevisan, G. Villadoro, M. Zaldarriaga, Implications of the scalar tilt for the tensor-to-scalar ratio. arXiv:1412.0678 [astro-ph.CO]
- 40.M. Scalisi, Cosmological \(\alpha \)-Attractors and de Sitter Landscape. arXiv:1506.01368 [hep-th]