Analyzing and Conceptualizing Monitoring and Analytics as a Service for Grain Warehouses
In developing countries, like Vietnam, it is vital to ensure high quality of grain with traceable origins, because grain is of paramount importance for business and food security purposes. However, it is very challenging to build information systems to track, monitor, analyze and manage grain warehouses in scattered flood of Mekong delta—Vietnam, given under developed physical and informational infrastructures. In this paper, we analyze requirements and conceptualize monitoring and analytics as a service for grain warehouses, with a focus on Vietnam’s environment. We analyze different stakeholders and their needs for monitoring and analytics features for grain warehouses. Leveraging the cloud computing model, big data analytics and Internet of Things (IoT), we design a conceptual framework to monitor various important information for grain warehouses and present different data analytics services that should be provided.
KeywordsGrain warehouse monitoring Monitoring and analytics as a service IoT Cloud computing
We thank Prof Tong-Xuan Vo and the ITA-Rice company (http://tantaorice.com) for fruitful discussion and useful knowledge on grain. We thank Quang-Hieu Vu and Tran-Vu Pham for their fruitful discussion on IoT and data analytics.
- 1.Institute, M.G.: The internet of things: mapping the value beyond the hype. Technical report, MCKinsey & Company, June 2015Google Scholar
- 4.Hamari, J., Sjöklint, M., Ukkonen, A.: The sharing economy: why people participate in collaborative consumption. J. Assoc. Inf. Sci. Technol. (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam: Decree No. 109/2010/N-CP. http://www.moit.gov.vn/Images/Upload/ND%20109-2010-CP.pdf
- 8.Truong, H.L., Comerio, M., Paoli, F.D., Gangadharan, G.R., Dustdar, S.: Data contracts for cloud-based data marketplaces. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Eng. 7(4), 280–295 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Sugahara, K.: Traceability system for agricultural products based on RFID and mobile technology. Comput. Comput. Technol. Agric. II, 2293–2301 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Ko, D., Kwak, Y., Song, S.: Real time traceability and monitoring system for agricultural products based on wireless sensor network. Int. J. Distrib. Sens. Netw. (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Borstell, H., Kluth, J., Jaeschke, M., Plate, C., Gebert, B.: Pallet monitoring system based on a heterogeneous sensor network for transparent warehouse processes. In: Sensor Data Fusion: Trends, Solutions, Applications, pp. 1–6 (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Röhrig, C., Spieker, S.: Tracking of transport vehicles for warehouse management using a wireless sensor network. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Dutta, R., Li, C., Smith, D., Das, A., Aryal, J.: Big data architecture for environmental analytics. In: Environmental software systems. Infrastructures, Services And Applications. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, pp. 578–588 (2015)Google Scholar