TCAD Simulation of Amorphous Indium-Gallium-Zinc Oxide Thin-Film Transistors
Indium-gallium-zinc oxide (IGZO) thin-film transistors (TFTs) are simulated using TCAD software. Nonlinearities observed in fabricated devices are obtained through simulation and corresponding physical characteristics are further investigated. For small channel length (below 1 µm) TFTs’ simulations show short channel effects, namely drain-induced barrier lowering (DIBL), and effectively source-channel barrier is shown to decrease with drain bias. Simulations with increasing shallow donor-like states result in transfer characteristics presenting hump-like behavior as typically observed after gate bias stress. Additionally, dual-gate architecture is simulated, exhibiting threshold voltage modulation by the second gate biasing.
KeywordsIGZO TCAD simulation DOS TFT CPS
This work is funded by FEDER funds through the COMPETE 2020 Programme and National Funds through FCT - Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology under the Project Nos. UID/CTM/50025/2013 and EXCL/CTM-NAN/0201/2012. The work has also received funding from the European Communities 7th Framework Programme under grant agreement ICT-2013-10-611070 (i-FLEXIS project) and from H2020 program under ICT-03-2014-644631 (ROLL-OUT project).
- 1.DS Software: ATLAS User’ s Manual, pp. 567–1000 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.CV Started G: Sentaurus Device User Guide. Synopsis (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Jeon, K., Kim, C., Song, I., Park, J., Kim, S., Kim, S., Park, Y., Park, J.H., Lee, S., Kim, D.M., Kim, D.H.: Modeling of amorphous InGaZnO thin-film transistors based on the density of states extracted from the optical response of capacitance-voltage characteristics. Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 4–7 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Junfei Shi, Chengyuan Dong, Y.S.: Influence of Deep States in Active Layers on the Performance of Amorphous In-Ga-Zn-O Thin Film Transistors Junfei Shi, Chengyuan Dong and Yikai Su. Proc. China Display/Asia Disp. 2011. 356–359 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Fu, R., Liao, C., Leng, C., Zhang, S.: An IGZO TFT based in-cell capacitance touch sensor. In: 2012 IEEE 11th International Conference on Solid-State and Integrated Circuit Technology (ICSICT). IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Correia, A.P.P., Barquinha, P., da Palma Goes, J.C.: A Second-Order ΣΔ ADC Using Sputtered IGZO TFTs. Springer International Publishing, Heidelberg (2015)Google Scholar