Fault Analysis of Three-Level NPC Inverters in Synchronous Reluctance Motor Drives
A performance analysis of a synchronous reluctance motor (SynRM) drive, operating under different fault conditions, with a three-level NPC inverter, controlled by a seven-segment Space Vector Modulation (SVM) technique, is presented in this paper. Considering the voltage source inverter, open-circuit faults of different types are introduced and their effects are studied regarding the SynRM and the inverter performance evaluation. The healthy and faulty operating conditions comparison will take into account the evaluation of some variables, such as the motor power factor, electromagnetic torque, efficiency, total waveform distortion values, currents RMS values, and total waveform oscillation values, obtained from simulation results.
KeywordsOpen-circuit faults Synchronous reluctance motor Inverter failures Three-level NPC inverter failures
The authors acknowledge the financial support from the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) under grant no. SFRH/BD/102345/2014 and grant no. SFRH/BPD/87135/2012.
- 2.Yahia, K., Matos, D.M.B., Estima, J.O., Cardoso, A.J.M.: Modeling synchronous reluctance motors including saturation, iron losses and mechanical losses. In: Proceedings of the 22nd International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, Ischia, Italy, pp. 595–600 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Matos, D.M.B., Estima, J.O., Yahia, K., Cardoso, A.J.M.: Modeling and implementation of MTPA control strategy for SynRM variable speed drives. In: International Review of Electrical Engineering, vol.9, no. 6 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Matos, D.M.B. Estima, J.O., Cardoso, A.J.M.: Performance evaluation of synchronous reluctance motor drives under inverter fault conditions. In: 10th IEEE International Symposium on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics and Drives. Guarda (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Lin, L., Zou, Y., Wang, Z., Jin, H.: Modeling and control of neutral point voltage balancing problem in three-level NPC PWM inverters. In: Proceedings of 36th IEEE PESC, Recife, Brazil, pp. 861–866 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Park, J.-J., Kim, T.-J., Hyun, D.-S.: Study of neutral point potential variation for three-level NPC inverter under fault condition. In: Proceedings of the 34th IEEE IECON, pp. 983–988 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Li, S., Xu, L.: Strategies of fault tolerant operation for three-level PWM inverters. IEEE Trans. Industr. Electron. 21(4), 933–940 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Li, J., Huang, A.Q., Liang, Z., Bhattacharya, S.: Analysis and design of active NPC (ANPC) inverters for fault tolerant operation of high-power electrical drives. IEEE Trans. Industr. Electron. 27, 519–533 (2012)Google Scholar