Influence Effect of Energy Roof on PV Efficiency: A Case Study
Increasingly there is a need for high-performance (sustainable) buildings. Even in a country with as little solar radiation as the Netherlands, the application of so-called solar energy roofs is becoming more popular. Already some different concepts exist, and one of the latest developments is the use of the roof as combined solar thermal collector and photovoltaic (PV) laminate. This chapter presents the results of research on the energy roof of a school in the Netherlands. The school was designed as an energy-plus school, and the energy roof, in combination with the PV laminate, plays a significant role in this project. The aim of this research was to determine the added value of the combined concept of PV and thermal collector in the total performance of the energy roof. It was expected that cooling of the PV laminate would have a positive effect on the electrical efficiency of this PV as the thermal collector absorbed heat from the overlying PV laminate. The producers of the PV laminate claim it has higher efficiencies. This claim was examined by studying the correlation of efficiency and the thermal gain of the roof in three different situations. The results showed no clear positive effect of the energy roof on the average efficiency of the PV laminate.
- 1.Smil V (1991) General energetics energy in the biosphere and civilization. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Smil V (2006) Energy at the crossroads. In: OECD global science forum conference, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kaya M (2013) Thermal and electrical performance evaluation of PV/T collectors in UAE. Master of Science Thesis EGI 2013:037MSC, KTH Stockholm, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chow TT, Tiwari GN, Menezo C (2012) Hybrid solar: a review on photovoltaic and thermal power integration. Int J Photoenergy. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/307287
- 12.Vries DW de (1998) Design of a PV/thermal combi panel. Ph.D. thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, EindhovenGoogle Scholar
- 14.Zondag HA, van Helden WGJ, Bakker M, Affolter P, Eisenmann W, Fechner H, Rommel M, Schaap A, Sörensen H, Tripanagnostopoulos Y (2005) Roadmap—a European guide for the development and market introduction of PV–thermal technology. In: Proceedings of the 20th European photovoltaic solar energy conference, Barcelona, Spain, 6–10 June 2005Google Scholar
- 16.Ciulla G, Lo Brano V, Moreci E (2013) Forecasting the cell temperature of PV module with an adaptive system. Int J Photoenergy 2013:10p (Article ID: 192854)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.