Test Case Generation from Natural Language Requirements Using CPN Simulation
We propose a test generation strategy from natural language (NL) requirements via translation into Colored Petri Nets (CPN), an extension of Petri Nets that supports model structuring and provides a mature theory and powerful tool support. This strategy extends our previous work on the NAT2TEST framework, which involves syntactic and semantic analyses of NL requirements and the generation of Data Flow Reactive Systems (DFRS) as an intermediate representation, from which target formal models can be obtained for the purpose of test case generation. Our contributions include a systematic translation of DFRSs into CPN models, besides a strategy for test generation. We illustrate our overall approach with a running example.
KeywordsTest generation CPN Model simulation
We thank Embraer for the partnership related to the NAT2TEST framework and, particularly, Braulio Horta and Ricardo Filho for their valuable contribution. This work was supported by the National Institute of Science and Technology for Software Engineering (INES (www.ines.org.br)), funded by CNPq and FACEPE, grants 573964/2008-4 and APQ-1037-1.03/08.
- 4.Carvalho, G., Carvalho, A., Rocha, E., Cavalcanti, A., Sampaio, A.: A formal model for natural-language timed requirements of reactive systems. In: Merz, S., Pang, J. (eds.) ICFEM 2014. LNCS, vol. 8829, pp. 43–58. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Farooq, U., Lam, C., Li, H.: Towards automated test sequence generation. In: 19th Australian Conference on Software Engineering, ASWEC 2008, pp. 441–450, March 2008Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, J., Ye, X., Li, J.: Colored Petri nets model based conformance test generation. In: 2011 IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), pp. 967–970, June 2011Google Scholar
- 13.Milner, R., Harper, R., Tofte, M.: The Definition of Standard ML. MIT Press, Cambridge (1990)Google Scholar
- 14.Myers, G., Sandler, C., Badgett, T.: The Art of Software Testing. John Wiley, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Tjell, S.: Model-based testing of a reactive system with coloured petri nets. In: Hochberger, C., Liskowsky, R. (eds.) Informatik, LNI, vol. 94, pp. 274–281, GI (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Watanabe, H., Kudoh, T.: Test suite generation methods for concurrent systems based on coloured Petri nets. In: Proceedings of 1995 Asia Pacific Software Engineering Conference, pp. 242–251, December 1995Google Scholar