KeJia-LC: A Low-Cost Mobile Robot Platform — Champion of Demo Challenge on Benchmarking Service Robots at RoboCup 2015
In this paper, we present the system design and the key techniques of our mobile robot platform called KeJia-LC, who won the first place in the demo challenge on Benchmarkinng Service Robots in RoboCup 2015. Given the fact that KeJia-LC is a low-cost version of our KeJia robot without shoulder and arm, several new technical demands comparing to RoboCup@Home are highlighted for better understanding of our system. With the elaborate design of hardware and the reasonable selection of sensors, our robot platform has the features of low cost, wide generality and good extensibility. Moreover, we integrate several functional softwares (such as 2D&3D mapping, localization and navigation) following the competition rules, which are critical to the performance of our robot. The effectiveness and robustness of our robot system has been proven in the competition.
KeywordsLow-cost mobile robot platform Benchmarking service robots RoboCup competition
This work is supported by the National Hi-Tech Project of China under grant 2008AA01Z150 and the Natural Science Foundation of China under grant 60745002 and 61175057, as well as the USTC Key Direction Project and the USTC 985 Project. The authors are grateful to all the other team members, the sponsors and all the people who gives us helpful comments and constructive suggestions.
- 1.Amigoni, F., Bonarini, A., Fontana, G., Matteucci, M., Schiaffonati, V.: Benchmarking through competitions. In: European Robotics Forum-Workshop on Robot Competitions: Benchmarking, Technology Transfer, and Education (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Engelhard, N., Endres, F., Hess, J., Sturm, J., Burgard, W.: Real-time 3d visual slam with a hand-held RGB-D camera. In: Proceedings of the RGB-D Workshop on 3D Perception in Robotics at the European Robotics Forum, Vasteras, Sweden, vol. 180 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Grisetti, G., Stachniss, C., Burgard, W.: Improving grid-based SLAM with Rao-Blackwellized particle filters by adaptive proposals and selective resampling. In: Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2005, pp. 2432–2437, April 2005Google Scholar
- 7.Hornung, A., Phillips, M., Jones, E.G., Bennewitz, M., Likhachev, M., Chitta, S.: Navigation in three-dimensional cluttered environments for mobile manipulation. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 423–429. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Labbé, M., Michaud, F.: Memory management for real-time appearance-based loop closure detection. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 1271–1276. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Schneider, S., Hegger, F., Ahmad, A., Awaad, I., Amigoni, F., Berghofer, J., Bischoff, R., Bonarini, A., Dwiputra, R., Fontana, G., et al.: The rockin@home challenge. In: Proceedings of ISR/Robotik; 41st International Symposium on Robotics, pp. 1–7. VDE (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.van Beek, L., Chen, K., Holz, D., Matamoros, M., Rascon, C., Rudinac, M., des Solar, J.R., Wachsmuth, S.: RoboCup@Home2015: rule and regulations (2015). http://www.robocupathome.org/rules/_rulebook.pdf
- 14.Wurm, K.M., Hornung, A., Bennewitz, M., Stachniss, C., Burgard, W.: Octomap: a probabilistic, flexible, and compact 3d map representation for robotic systems. In: Proceedings of the ICRA Workshop on Best Practice in 3D Perception and Modeling for Mobile Manipulation, vol. 2 (2010)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.