Analysis of Signaling Overhead and Performance Evaluation in Cellular Networks of WeChat Software
The instant communication software such as WeChat, QQ and Fetion becomes popular with the rapid development of mobile terminals and wireless personal communication technology. To refresh the online or offline status of such software, signaling message must be sent every given intervals. However, the signaling message raised by huge number of users will cause severe overhead of mobile networks, which will affect the outage performance of network. In this work, we analyze the signaling overhead caused by such software and evaluate the influence using the system level simulation platform. Results indicate that, the signaling overhead will affect the outage performance when the density of users is great. Practical solution is also raised at the end of our paper.
KeywordsWeChat Signaling Overhead Heartbeat Wireless network
This work is funded by China’s 973 project under grant of 2012CB316002 and China’s 863 project under grant of 2013AA013603, 2012AA011402, National Natural Science Foundation of China (61201192).
- 1.Taniguchi, Y.: De synchronization-based weighted scheduling adaptive to traffic load for wireless networks. In: 2014 International Conference on Computer, Communications, and Control Technology (I4CT), pp. 130–134, 2-4 September 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Dini, P., Miozzo, M., Bui, N., Baldo, N.: A model to analyze the energy savings of base station sleep mode in LTE HetNets. In: IEEE International Conference on Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom) and IEEE Cyber, Physical and Social Computing, 2013 IEEE and Internet of Things (iThings/CPSCom), pp. 1375–1380, 20-23 August 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhang, S., Wu, Y., Cai, X.: WeChat traffic profile and impact on mobile networks. In: 2014 IEEE/CIC International Conference on Communications in China (ICCC), pp. 334 − 338, 13-15 October 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Han, B., Liu, X., Wang, J., Liu, C., Wagner, R.M.: Extending an instant messaging system with data services and mashups thereof. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC), pp. 848–849, 27 June 2014-2 July 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Han, Y., Zhao, M., Zhou, W.: Optimization of OTT small data services: network capacity and cost analysis. In: 2014 Sixth International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing (WCSP), pp. 1–6, 23-25 October 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Bajaj, H., Jindal, R.: Thinking beyond WhatsApp. In: 2015 2nd International Conference on Computing for Sustainable Global Development (INDIACom), pp. 1443–1447, 11-13 March 2015 (2015)Google Scholar