Classification of Myocardial Infarcted Patients by Combining Shape and Motion Features
Myocardial infarction changes both the shape and motion of the heart. In this work, cardiac shape and motion features are extracted from shape models at ED and ES phases and combined to train a SVM classifier between myocardial infarcted cases and asymptomatic cases. Shape features are characterised by PCA coefficients of a shape model, whereas motion features include wall thickening and wall motion. Evaluated on the STACOM 2015 challenge dataset, the proposed method achieves a high accuracy of 97.5 % for classification, which shows that shape and motion features can be useful biomarkers for myocardial infarction, which provide complementary information to late-gadolinium MR assessment.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Classifier Motion Feature Shape Model Statistical Shape Modelling Abnormality Detection
- 3.Medrano-Gracia, P., Cowan, B.R., Bluemke, D.A., Finn, J.P., Kadish, A.H., Lee, D.C., Lima, J.A.C., Suinesiaputra, A., Young, A.A.: Atlas-based analysis of cardiac shape and function: correction of regional shape bias due to imaging protocol for population studies. J. Cardiovasc. Magn. Reson. 15, 80 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Suinesiaputra, A., Frangi, A.F., Kaandorp, T., Lamb, H.J., Bax, J.J., Reiber, J., Lelieveldt, B.P.F.: Automated detection of regional wall motion abnormalities based on a statistical model applied to multislice short-axis cardiac MR images. IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging 28(4), 595–607 (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Duchateau, N., Giraldeau, G., Gabrielli, L., Fernández-Armenta, J., Penela, D., Evertz, R., Mont, L., Brugada, J., Berruezo, A., Sitges, M., et al.: Quantification of local changes in myocardial motion by diffeomorphic registration via currents: Application to paced hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy in 2D echocardiographic sequences. Med. Image Anal. 19(1), 203–219 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.McLeod, K., Sermesant, M., Beerbaum, P., Pennec, X.: Spatio-temporal tensor decomposition of a polyaffine motion model for a better analysis of pathological left ventricular dynamics. In: MICCAI, pp. 501–508. Springer (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Fonseca, C.G., Backhaus, M., Bluemke, D.A., Britten, R.D., Chung, J.D., Cowan, B.R., Dinov, I.D., Finn, J.P., Hunter, P.J., Kadish, A.H.: The cardiac atlas project-an imaging database for computational modeling and statistical atlases of the heart. Bioinformatics 27(16), 2288–2295 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar