This collection of papers is the principal outcome of a network project funded by the UK Arts and Humanities Research Council and the London Mathematical Society. This editorial introduction sketches the state of research into mathematical cultures and assesses the achievements of the network project with respect to its stated aims.
KeywordsMathematical Practice Mathematics Education Research Cultural Approach Creative Mathematician Humanity Research Council
- Arts and humanities research council science in culture theme website. http://www.sciculture.ac.uk/.
- Association for the philosophy of mathematical practice website. http://www.philmathpractice.org/.
- Francois, K. (2012). Video presentation to the cultures of logic and mathematics conference in Guangzhou. https://youtu.be/umuKvJFR_7U.
- François, K. & Stathopoulou, C. (2012). In-Between critical mathematics education and ethnomathematics. A philosophical reflection and an empirical case of a Romany students’ group mathematics education. Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies, 10(1), 234–247. ISSN 1740-2743.Google Scholar
- Harris, M. (2015). Mathematics without apologies: Portrait of a problematic vocation. Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Hersh, R. (2006). 18 Unconventional essays on the nature of mathematics. Springer.Google Scholar
- Hersh, R. & John-Steiner, V. (2011). Loving and hating mathematics. Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Larvor, B. (2010). The philosophy of mathematical practice. P. Mancosu (Ed.) OUP 2008, Philosophia Mathematica, 18(3), 350–360.Google Scholar
- Larvor, B. (2016). What are Cultures? In S. Ju, B. Loewe, T. Mueller & Y. Xie (Eds.), Cultures of mathematics and logic selected papers from the conference in Guangzhou, China 9–12 November 2012. Basel: Birkhäuser.Google Scholar
- Larvor, B. Mathematical cultures. https://sites.google.com/site/mathematicalcultures/.
- Lerman, S. (2000). The social turn in mathematics education research. In J. Boaler (Ed.) Multiple perspectives on mathematics teaching and learning (pp. 19–44). Westport, CT: Ablex.Google Scholar
- Mancosu, P. (2008). The philosophy of mathematical practice. Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Wilder Raymond L. (1965). Introduction to the foundations of mathematics (2nd ed.). John Wiley.Google Scholar
- Wilder Raymond L. (1981). Mathematics as a cultural system. Pergamon Press.Google Scholar