Tourists Visit and Photo Sharing Behavior Analysis: A Case Study of Hong Kong Temples
- 3.5k Downloads
Travel statistics report published by the tourism board was one of the important sources that attraction managers used to plan for marketing strategies. However, only a limited number of famous attractions were involved in such reports, therefore rare information was gathered for 2nd or 3rd tier attractions, such as temples. These small attractions were kept away from many tourists’ knowledge or travel plan so that it is also a difficulty to explore their visit behaviors. Fortunately, social media sites have been rapidly developed and widely used in our lives, to fill this blank with a large number of active users, who shared their travel experiences by writing textual comments and uploading travel photos. This provides scholars and managers with opportunities to understand tourists’ behaviors and the potential attractions they are interested in, by analyzing the photos they uploaded and shared online. In this paper, we report a study of extracting geotagged photos uploaded by tourists to one of the popular social media sites, Flickr, for tourists’ visit and sharing behavior analysis of Hong Kong temples. The results indicate four popular temples that attracted most tourists taking photos. The behavior analysis shows the difference preferences of tourists from various locations and the trend changes of their visits in the past 5 years.
KeywordsGeotagging Photos Flickr Tourists’ behaviour Temples Hong Kong
- Crandall, D. J., Backstrom, L., Huttenlocher, D., & Kleinberg, J. (2009). Mapping the world’s photos. In Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on World Wide Web (pp. 761–770). New York, NY: ACM.Google Scholar
- Euromonitor International. (2015). Top 100 city destinations ranking – analyst insight from euromonitor international. Retrieved August 21, 2015, from http://blog.euromonitor.com/2015/01/top-100-city-destinations-ranking.html
- Flickr. (2015). Flickr services: The app garden. Retrieved online from https://www.flickr.com/services/api/ on 18 December 2014.
- HKTB. (2014a). Visitor arrival statistics – Dec 2014. Retrieved August 21, 2015, from http://securepartnernet.hktb.com/filemanager/intranet/dept_info/private_20/paper/VAS2002/VAS2014/VAS_12_2014_1.pdf
- HKTB. (2014b). Visitor profile report 2014. Retrieved August 21, 2015, from http://securepartnernet.hktb.com/filemanager/intranet/dept_info/private_20/paper/Visitor-Pro/Profile2014/Visitor_Profile_2014_0.pdf
- Jaffe, A., Naaman, M., Tassa, T., & Davis, M. (2006). Generating summaries and visualization for large collections of geo-referenced photographs (p. 89). ACM Press.Google Scholar
- Kisilevich, S., Mansmann, F. & Keim, D. (2010). P- DBSCAN: A density based clustering algorithm for exploration and analysis of attractive areas using collections of geo-tagged photos. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference and Exhibition on Computing for Geospatial Research and Application Article. Article no. 38, Bethesda, MDGoogle Scholar
- Zheng, Y.-T., Zha, Z.-J., & Chua, T.-S. (2012). Mining travel patterns from geotagged photos. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, 3(3), 56:1–56:18.Google Scholar