Senior Citizens, Media and Information Literacy and Health Information
This study examined the development of information seeking and evaluation of the usefulness and reliability of information, in three information channels, Media, Health specialist and Internet, in the period 2002 to 2012. Random samples were used, participants were categorized into two groups, 60 to 67 years old and 68 years or older. Data analysis was performed with ANOVA (one-way). Health specialists were considered most useful and reliable, although rated lower in 2012 than in 2002. Usefulness and reliability of information in the Media was comparable in 2012 and 2002. Information seeking on the Internet had increased since 2002. The younger group considered the information less useful and reliable in 2012 than in 2002. For the older group the evaluation was identical in 2012 to what it was in 2002. Thus, information seeking on the Internet had increased since 2002 but participants had also become more critical of the information.
KeywordsHealth information Information seeking Internet Media and information literacy Reliability Usefulness Senior citizens
The study was funded by the University of Iceland Research Fund.
- 1.UNESCO: Media and Information Literacy (2014). http://www.uis.unesco.org/Communication/Pages/information-literacy.aspx
- 4.Pálsdóttir, Á.: Preferences in the use of social media for seeking and communicating health and lifestyle information. Inf. Res. 19(4) paper 642 (2014). http://InformationR.net/ir/19-4/paper642.html
- 6.Statistics Iceland: use of ICT and internet by households and individuals 2002 and 2003. Stat. Ser. Inf. Technol. 89(12) (2004). https://hagstofa.is/lisalib/getfile.aspx?ItemID=921
- 7.Statistics Iceland: use of computers and the internet by households and individuals 2007. Stat. Ser. Inf. Technol. 92(39) (2007). https://hagstofa.is/?PageID=421&itemid=b2f90b6b-6383-4c04-83ac-2385068d1722
- 8.Statistics Iceland: computer and internet usage by individuals 2012. Stat. Ser. Tourism Transp. IT 97(33) (2012). https://hagstofa.is/lisalib/getfile.aspx?ItemID=14251
- 9.Fox, S., Duggan, M.: Information Triage (2013). http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/01/15/information-triage/
- 11.Lög um málefni aldraðra nr. 125/1999Google Scholar
- 12.WHO: Global Health and Aging (2011). http://www.who.int/ageing/publications/global_health.pdf
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.