A Linked Data Model to Aggregate Serialized Manga from Multiple Data Providers
Many different institutions create bibliographic data for manga, a style of Japanese comic. These institutions typically describe the same resources, but in ways that differ depending on their institution type. The sharing of this data would result in a more complete bibliographic data landscape for manga; the majority of this data, however, exists in isolation from other institutions. In seeking to combine this data, this paper presents a Linked Data model for the aggregation of bibliographic data for manga. The Europeana Data Model was used as the basis for the aggregation functions, while the Dublin Core and BIBFRAME vocabularies were used for bibliographic description. Data from Monash University’s JSC Manga Library, the Media Arts Database from the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs, and Web resources was collected, and records suitable for aggregation were identified. The result is a conceptual model that enables the aggregation of bibliographic data for manga, creating a more complete bibliographic data landscape for manga.
KeywordsMetadata Europeana Data Model BIBFRAME Comics Metadata aggregation Popular culture database Bibliographic data for manga
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Gonzales, B.M.: Linking Libraries to the Web: Linked Data and the Future of the Bibliographic Record. ITAL 33(4) (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Zapounidou, S., Sfakakis, M., Papatheodorou, C.: Integrating library and cultural heritage data models. In: Proceedings of the 18th Panhellenic Conference on Informatics, PCI 2014. ACM, Athens (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Zapounidou, S., Sfakakis, M., Papatheodorou, C.: Library data integration: towards BIBFRAME mapping to EDM. In: Studer, R., Garoufallou, E., Sicilia, M.-A., Closs, S. (eds.) MTSR 2014. CCIS, vol. 478, pp. 262–273. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.He, W., Mihara, T., Nagamori, M., Sugimoto, S.: Identification of works of manga using LOD resources. In: Proceedings of the 13th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, JCDL 2013, pp. 253–256. ACM, Indianapolis (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Angjeli, A., et al.: D5.1 Report on the alignment of library metadata with the Europeana Data Model (EDM) (2012)Google Scholar