Numerical Modeling of Hydrodynamics in the Agua Brava Lagoon, Located in Nayarit, Mexico
- 888 Downloads
In this paper a study of the hydrodynamics of the Agua Brava lagoon system is performed by numerical modeling. The importance of studying this lagoon system lies with aquaculture activities carried out by shrimp farms. The \( \pi \)-HYDRO model is used for the numerical simulations of hydrodynamics and temperature and salinity dispersion. The boundary conditions regarding ocean properties were generated with the HYCOM ocean model, whereas tides were calculated from the tidal predictions of the MAR V1.0. A hydrological study was also performed to calculate the freshwater contributions and take them into account in the numerical simulations. The scenarios analyzed are the dry and wet seasons particularly for 2013. For the case of the dry season, a slight influence of hydrological contributions to the dynamics of the lagoon is observed, where the effects of the tidal flow are predominant. For the wet scenario, the effects of both tidal and hydrological flow drive the motion within the lagoon, especially being predominant the hydrological flow due to the river discharges in the near region to the shrimp farms.
KeywordsNayarit Shrimp Farming Hydrologic Flow Hydrological Contributions Lagoon System
- CICESE (2015) Programa MAR V1.0. http://predmar.cicese.mx/programa/
- INEGI (1990) Clima y precipitación del estado de Nayarit. Instituto Nacional de Estadística, Geografía e Informática. MéxicoGoogle Scholar
- Instituto de Ciencias del Mar y Limnología (2011) Vulnerabilidad de las zonas costeras del Pacífico Mexicano (Sinaloa-Nayarit) ante el cambio climático. Programa de Investigación sobre el cambio climático. México D.FGoogle Scholar
- Ramírez-León H, Barrios-Piña H, Rodríguez-Cuevas C, Couder-Castañeda C (2005a) Baroclinic mathematical modeling of fresh water plumes in the interaction river-sea. Int J Numer Anal Model 2:1–14Google Scholar
- Ramírez-León H, Rodríguez-Cuevas C, Herrera Díaz E (2005b) Multilayer hydrodynamic model and their application to sediment transport in estuaries. In: Special issue Shanghai conference, current trends in high performance computing and its applications, pp 59–70. Springer, Berlin, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Ramírez-León H, Couder-Castañeda C, Herrera-Díaz IE, Barrios-Piña H (2010) Modelación numérica de la descarga térmica de la Central Nucleoeléctrica de Laguna Verde. Rev Int Mét Num Cálc Dis Ing 15:185–211Google Scholar
- Rodríguez C, Serre E, Rey C, Ramírez H (2005) A numerical model for shallow-water flows: dynamics of the eddy shedding. Wseas Trans. Environ Dev 1:280–287Google Scholar
- UNESCO (1981) Background papers and supporting data on the international equation of state of seawater 1980. UNESCO Tech Pap Mar Sci 38:192Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.