Congestion-Aware Warehouse Flow Analysis and Optimization
Generating realistic configurations of urban models is a vital part of the modeling process, especially if these models are used for evaluation and analysis. In this work, we address the problem of assigning objects to their storage locations inside a warehouse which has a great impact on the quality of operations within a warehouse. Existing storage policies aim to improve the efficiency by minimizing travel time or by classifying the items based on some features. We go beyond existing methods as we analyze warehouse layout network in an attempt to understand the factors that affect traffic within the warehouse. We use simulated annealing based sampling to assign items to their storage locations while reducing traffic congestion and enhancing the speed of order picking processes. The proposed method enables a range of applications including efficient storage assignment, warehouse reliability evaluation and traffic congestion estimation.
KeywordsTraffic Flow Storage Location Order Picking Storage Policy Storage Shelf
We thank the anonymous reviewers for their useful suggestions and Dong-Ming Yan for his valuable assistance in preparing the simulation framework. This work was partly supported by an Anita Borg Google PhD scholarship award.
- 7.Wong, D.F., Liu, C.L.: A new algorithm for floorplan design. In: Proceedings of the 23rd ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference. DAC 1986, Piscataway, NJ, USA, pp. 101–107. IEEE Press (1986)Google Scholar
- 8.Bao, F., Yan, D.M., Mitra, N.J., Wonka, P.: Generating and exploring good building layouts. ACM Trans. Graph. 32, 1 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Tsige, M.T.: Improving order-picking efficiency via storage assignment strategies (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Meller, R.: Optimal order-to-lane assignments in an order accumulation/sortation system. IIE Trans. 29, 293–301 (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Tanchoco, J.M.A., Tompkins, J.A., White, J.A., Bozer, Y.A.: Facilities Planning. Wiley, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 21.Aslam, J., Lim, S., Rus, D.: Congestion-aware traffic routing system using sensor data. 2012 15th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 1006–1013 (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.Ebrahimi, M., Daneshtalab, M., Farahnakian, F., Plosila, J., Liljeberg, P., Palesi, M., Tenhunen, H.: Haraq: Congestion-aware learning model for highly adaptive routing algorithm in on-chip networks. In: Proceedings of the 2012 6th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Networks-on-Chip, NoCS 2012, pp. 19–26 (2012)Google Scholar