A Robust Real-Time Road Detection Algorithm Using Color and Edge Information
A vision-based road detection technique is important for implementation of a safe driving assistance system. A major problem of vision-based road detection is sensitivity to environmental change, especially illumination change. A novel framework is proposed for robust road detection using a color model with a separable brightness component. Road candidate areas are selected using an adaptive thresholding method, then fast region merging is performed based on a threshold value. Extracted road contours are filtered using edge information. Experimental results show the proposed algorithm is robust in an illumination change environment.
KeywordsGraphic Processing Unit Color Model Road Area Road Region Road Detection
This work was supported by the Sun Moon University Research Grant of 2014.
- 1.Alvares, J.M.A., Gevers, T., Lopez, A.M.: Vision-based road detection using road models. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 2073–2076 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Alvarez, J.M.A., Gevers, T., Lopez, A.M.: Evaluating color representations for on-line road detection. In: International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (ICCVW), pp. 594–559 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Hasan, N., Didar-Al-Alam, S.M., Rezwanul Huq, S.: Intelligent car control for a smart car. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 14, 15–19 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Bhumkar, S.P., Deotare, V.V., Babar, R.V.: Intelligent car system for accident prevention using ARM-7. Int. J. Emerg. Technol. Adv. Eng. 2(4) (2012) Google Scholar
- 5.Vipul, H., Ramji, M.: Survey: vision based road detection techniques. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Inf. Technol. 5, 4741–4747 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Moghadam, P., Starzyk, J.A., Wijesoma, W.S.: Fast vanishing-point detection in unstructured environments. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 425–430 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Kuhnl, T., Fritsch, J.: Vision-spatial road boundary detection for unmarked urban and rural roads. In: IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium Proceedings, pp. 1251–1256 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Corke, P., Paul, R., Churchill, W., Newman, P.: Dealing with shadows: capturing intrinsic scene appearance for image-based outdoor localization. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 2085–2092 (2013)Google Scholar