Product Recommendation for Small-Scale Retailers
Product recommendation in e-commerce is a widely applied technique which has been shown to bring benefits in both product sales and customer satisfaction. In this work we address a particular product recommendation setting — small-scale retail websites where the small amount of returning customers makes traditional user-centric personalization techniques inapplicable. We apply an item-centric product recommendation strategy which combines two well-known methods – association rules and text-based similarity – and demonstrate the effectiveness of the approach through two evaluation studies with real customer data.
KeywordsProduct recommendation Online shopping Association rules Text-based similarity Hybrid approach User study
This research has been conducted with the financial support of Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) under Grant Number SFI/12/RC/2289.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Srikant, R., et al.: Fast algorithms for mining association rules. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB), vol. 1215, pp. 487–499 (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, J., Miller, C., Dagher, G.: Product recommendation system for small online retailers using association rules mining. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Innovative Design and Manufacturing, pp. 71–77 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Benjamin Dias, M., Locher, D., et al.: The value of personalised recommender systems to e-business: a case study. In: Proceedings of the 2008 ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, pp. 291–294. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, J., Hwang, S.-W., Nie, Z., Wen, J.-R.: Navigation system for product search. In: 2010 IEEE 26th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), pp. 1113–1116. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, M., Dias, B.M., et al.: Grocery shopping recommendations based on basket-sensitive random walk. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data mining, pp. 1215–1224. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Sarwar, B., Karypis, G., Konstan, J., Riedl, J.: Item-based collaborative filtering recommendation algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on World Wide Web, pp. 285–295. ACM (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Schafer, J.: The application of data-mining to recommender systems. Encycl. Data Warehouse. Min. 1, 44–48 (2009)Google Scholar