An Adaptive Lattice Boltzmann Method for Predicting Wake Fields Behind Wind Turbines
The crucial components of a dynamically adaptive, parallel lattice Boltzmann method are described. By utilizing a level set approach for geometry embedding the method can handle rotating and moving structures effectively. The approach is validated for the canonical six degrees of freedom test case of a hinged wing. Subsequently, the wake field in an array of three Vestas V27 wind turbines at prescribed rotation rate and under constant inflow condition is simulated for two different scenarios. The results show that the low dissipation properties of the lattice Boltzmann scheme in combination with dynamic mesh adaptation are able to predict well-resolved vortex structures far downstream at moderate computational costs.
KeywordsWind Turbine Lattice Boltzmann Method Collision Operator Wake Field Rotational Reynolds Number
Stephen L. Wood was supported by the TN-SCORE Energy Scholar program funded by NSF EPS-1004083 during this work.
- 7.Hähnel, D.: Molekulare Gasdynamik. Springer, Berlin (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Hou, S., Sterling, J., Chen, S., Doolen, G.D.: A lattice Boltzmann subgrid model for high Reynolds number flows. In: Lawniczak, A.T., Kapral, R. (eds.) Pattern Formation and Lattice Gas Automata, vol. 6, pp. 151–166. Fields Inst Comm (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Mauch, S.P.: Efficient algorithms for solving static Hamilton-Jacobi equations. Ph.D. thesis, California Institute of Technology (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Schepers, J.G., Boorsma, K.: Final report of IEA task 29: Mexnext (phase 1)—Analysis of Mexico wind tunnel measurements. Tech. Rep. ECN-E-12-004, European Research Centre of the Netherlands (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Toomey, J., Eldredge, J.D.: Numerical and experimental study of the fluid dynamics of a flapping wing with low order flexibility. Phys. Fluids (1994–present) 20(7), 073603 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Tsai, L.: Robot Analysis: The Mechanics of Serial and Parallel Manipulators. Wiley, New York (1999)Google Scholar