On the Readability of Boundary Labeling
Boundary labeling deals with annotating features in images such that labels are placed outside of the image and are connected by curves (so-called leaders) to the corresponding features. While boundary labeling has been extensively investigated from an algorithmic perspective, the research on its readability has been neglected. In this paper we present the first formal user study on the readability of boundary labeling. We consider the four most studied leader types with respect to their performance, i.e., whether and how fast a viewer can assign a feature to its label and vice versa. We give a detailed analysis of the results regarding the readability of the four models and discuss their aesthetic qualities based on the users’ preference judgments and interviews.
We thank Helen Purchase and Janet Siegmund for their advice on the statistical data analysis.
- 1.Ali, K., Hartmann, K., Strothotte, T.: Label layout for interactive 3D illustrations. J. WSCG 13(1), 1–8 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Barth, L., Gemsa, A., Niedermann, B., Nöllenburg, M.: On the Readability of Boundary Labeling. CoRR, abs/1509.00379 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Gemsa, A., Haunert, J.-H., Nöllenburg, M.: Boundary-labeling algorithms for panorama images. In: ACM GIS 2011, New York, USA, pp. 289–298 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Lin, C., Wu, H., Yen, H.: Boundary labeling in text annotation. In: Banissi, E., et al., (ed.) IV 2009, pp. 110–115. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Löffler, M., Nöllenburg, M.: Shooting bricks with orthogonal laser beams: a first step towards internal/external map labeling. CCCG 2010, 203–206 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Morrison, J.L.: Computer technology and cartographic change. In: Taylor, D. (ed.) The Computer in Contemporary Cartography. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore (1980)Google Scholar
- 16.Nöllenburg, M., Polishchuk, V., Sysikaski, M.: Dynamic one-sided boundary labeling. In: ACM-GIS 2010, pp. 310–319 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Tufte, E.R.: The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Graphics Press, Cheshire (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Ware, C.: Information Visualization: Perception for Design, 3rd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2012)Google Scholar