Urban Traffic Congestion Prediction Using Floating Car Trajectory Data
Traffic congestion prediction is an important precondition to promote urban sustainable development. Nevertheless, there is a lack of a unified prediction method to address the performance metrics, such as accuracy, instantaneity and stability, systematically. In the paper, we propose a novel approach to predict the urban traffic congestion efficiently with floating car trajectory data. Specially, an innovative traffic flow prediction method utilizing particle swarm optimization algorithm is responsible for calculating the traffic flow parameters. Then, a congestion state fuzzy division module is applied to convert the predicted flow parameters to citizens’ cognitive congestion states. We conduct extensive experiments with real floating car data and the experimental results show that our proposed method has advantage in terms of accuracy, instantaneity and stability.
KeywordsFloating car Particle swarm optimization Traffic congestion prediction Traffic flow prediction Fuzzy comprehensive evaluation
This work was partially supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China under Grants No. 61203165 and No. 61174174, the Foundation of Key Laboratory of System Control and Information Processing, Ministry of Education, P.R. China No. SCIP2012001, and the Fundamental Research Funds for Central Universities.
- 1.Zheng, Y., Capra, L., Wolfson, O., et al.: Urban computing: concepts, methodologies, and applications. ACM Trans. Intell. Syst. Technol. (TIST) 5(3), 38 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Xu, Y., Wang, B., Kong, Q., et al.: Spatio-temporal variable selection based support vector regression for urban traffic flow prediction. In: Proceeding of the 93rd Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, pp. 14–1994 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, M.W., Hong, W.C., Kang, H.G.: Urban traffic flow forecasting using Gauss–SVR with cat mapping, cloud model and PSO hybrid algorithm. Neuro Comput. 99, 230–240 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, F., Tan, G., Deng, C., et al.: Real-time traffic flow forecasting model and parameter selection based on ε-SVR. In: Proceedings of the 7th IEEE World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, pp. 2870–2875. Chongqing, China (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Chen, H., Rakha, H.A., Sadek, S.: Real-time freeway traffic state prediction: a particle filter approach. In: Proceedings of the 14th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), pp. 626–631. Washington, DC, USA (2011)Google Scholar
- 19.Herring, R., Hofleitner, A., Amin, S., et al.: Using mobile phones to forecast arterial traffic through statistical learning. In: Proceedings of the 89th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, pp. 10–2493. Washington DC, USA (2010)Google Scholar
- 25.Beijing Traffic Development Research Center. The transportation development annual report at 2012 of Beijing city. http://www.bjtrc.org.cn/JGJS.aspx?id=5.2&Menu=GZCG (2012)