An Efficient Shortest-Path Routing Algorithm in the Data Centre Network DPillar
DPillar has recently been proposed as a server-centric data centre network and is combinatorially related to the well-known wrapped butterfly network. We explain the relationship between DPillar and the wrapped butterfly network before proving a symmetry property of DPillar. We use this symmetry property to establish a single-path routing algorithm for DPillar that computes a shortest path and has time complexity \(O(k\log (n))\), where k parameterizes the dimension of DPillar and n the number of ports in its switches. Moreover, our algorithm is trivial to implement, being essentially a conditional clause of numeric tests, and improves significantly upon a routing algorithm earlier employed for DPillar. A secondary and important effect of our work is that it emphasises that data centre networks are amenable to a closer combinatorial scrutiny that can significantly improve their computational efficiency and performance.
KeywordsData centre networks Routing algorithms Shortest paths
This work has been funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) through grants EP/K015680/1 and EP/K015699/1.
- 1.Abts, D., Marty, M.R., Wells, P.M., Klausler, P., Liu, H.: Energy proportional datacenter networks. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture, pp. 338–347 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Ahn, J.H., Binkert, N., Davis, A., McLaren, M., Schreiber, R.S.: HyperX: topology, routing, and packaging of efficient large-scale networks. In: Proceedings of the Conference on High Performance Computer Networking, Storage and Analysis, Article 41 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Heller, B., Seetharaman, S., Mahadevan, P., Yiakoumis, Y., Sharma, P., Banerjee, S., McKeown, N.: ElasticTree: saving energy in data center networks. In: Proceedings of the 7th USENIX Conference on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, pp. 249–264 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, C., Guo, D., Wu, H., Tan, K., Zhang, K., Lu, S.: FiConn: using backup port for server interconnection in data centers. In: Proceedings of INFOCOM, pp. 2276–2285 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, C., Wang, C., Yuan, Y., Wei, Y.: MCube: a high performance and fault-tolerant network architecture for data centers. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Design and Applications, vol. 5, pp. V5-423-V5–427 (2010)Google Scholar