Multivariate Autoregressive-based Neuronal Network Flow Analysis for In-vitro Recorded Bursts
Neuroscientific studies of in vitro neuron cell cultures has attracted paramount attention to investigate the behaviour of neuronal networks in response to different environmental conditions and external stimuli such as drugs, optical and electrical stimulations. Microelectrode array (MEA) technology has been widely adopted as a tool for this investigation. In this work, we present a new approach to estimate interconnectivity of neural spikes using multivariate autoregressive (MVAR) analysis and Partial Directed Coherence (PDC). The proposed approach has the potential to discover hidden intra-burst causal connectivity patterns and to help understand the spatiotemporal communication patterns within bursts, pre and post stimulations.
KeywordsMulti electrode array Bursts Partial directed coherence Multivariate autoregressive modelling
- 3.Haggag, S., Mohamed, S., Bhatti, A., Gu, N., Zhou, H., Nahavandi, S.: Cepstrum based unsupervised spike classification. In: Proceedings - 2013 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC 2013, pp. 3716–3720 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Segev, R., Baruchi, I., Hulata, E., Ben-Jacob, E.: Hidden neuronal correlations in cultured networks. Phys. Rev. Lett. 92(11), Article no. 118102 (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Lamanna, J., Esposti, F., Signorini, M.G.: Study of neuronal networks development from in-vitro recordings: a granger causality based approach. In: Conference Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS, pp. 4842–4845 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Fanselow, E.E., Sameshima, K., Baccalá, L.A., Nicolelis, M.A.L.: Thalamic bursting in rats during different awake behavioral states. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98(26), pp. 15330–15335 (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Rodriguez, M.Z., Pedrino, E.C., Saito, J.H., Destro Filho, J.B.: Evolutionary dynamics of in vitro cultures of neurons in Multi Electrode Array - MEA. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 78–83 (2012)Google Scholar