Free Open Source Mesh Healing for TCAD Device Simulations
Device geometries in technology computer-aided design processes are often generated using parametric solid modeling computer-aided design tools. However, geometries generated with these tools often lack geometric properties, like being intersection-free, which are required for volumetric mesh generation as well as discretization methods. Contributing to this problem is the fact, that device geometries often have multiple regions, used for, e.g., assigning different material parameters. Therefore, a healing process of the geometry is required, which detects the errors and repairs them. In this paper, we identify errors in multi-region device geometries created using computer-aided design tools. A robust algorithm pipeline for healing these errors is presented, which has been implemented in ViennaMesh. This algorithm pipeline is applied on complex device geometries. We show, that our approach robustly heals device geometries created with computer-aided design tools and is even able to handle certain modeling inaccuracies.
KeywordsDevice Geometry March Cube Algorithm Singular Vertex Free Open Source Mesh Generation Algorithm
This work has been supported by the European Research Council (ERC), grant #247056 MOSILSPIN and by the Austrian Science Fund FWF, grant P23598.
- 2.FreeCAD: http://www.freecadweb.org/
- 3.Synopsys Sentaurus Structure Editor: http://www.synopsys.com/Tools/TCAD/Pages/StructureEditor.aspx
- 5.Strikwerda, J.C.: Finite difference schemes and partial differential equations, 2nd edn. SIAM, Philadelphia (2004) ISBN: 978-0-89871-567-5Google Scholar
- 6.Cheng, S.W., Dey, T.K., Shewchuk, J.R.: Delaunay Mesh Generation. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2013) ISBN: 978-1584887300Google Scholar
- 8.Si, H.: TetGen a quality tetrahedral mesh generator and three-dimensional delaunay triangulator, Version 1.4, User Manual (2006). http://wias-berlin.de/software/tetgen/files/tetgen-manual.pdf
- 10.ViennaMesh: http://viennamesh.sourceforge.net/
- 14.Hoppe, H.: Progressive meshes. In: Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp. 99–108. New York (1996). doi: 10.1145/237170.237216
- 16.Mesh Repairing Software on the Web: http://meshrepair.org/
- 18.Burger, W., Burge, M.J.: Digital Image Processing - An Algorithmic Introduction Using Java. Texts in Computer Science, 1st edn. Springer-Verlag, London (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Agrawal, N., Kimura, Y., Arghavani, R., Datta, S.: Impact of transistor architecture (bulk planar, trigate on bulk, ultrathin-body planar SOI) and material (silicon or III-V semiconductor) on variation for logic and SRAM applications. IEEE Trans. electron devices 60(10), 3298–3304 (2013). doi: 10.1109/TED.2013.2277872 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Modzelewski, K., Chintala, R., Moolamalla, H., Parke, S., Hackler, D.: Design of a 32nm independently-double-gated FlexFET SOI transistor. In: Proceedings of the 17th Biennial University/Government/Industry Micro/Nano Symposium, pp. 64–67 (2008) doi: 10.1109/UGIM.2008.24