Design of a Privacy-Preserving Document Submission and Grading System
Document submission and grading systems are commonly used in educational institutions. They facilitate the hand-in of assignments by students, the subsequent grading by the course teachers and the management of the submitted documents and corresponding grades. But they might also undermine the privacy of students, especially when documents and related data are stored long term with the risk of leaking to malicious parties in the future.We propose a protocol for a privacy-preserving, anonymous document submission and grading system based on blind signatures. Our solution guarantees the unlinkability of a document with the authoring student even after her grade has been reported, while the student can prove that she received the grade assigned to the document she submitted. We implemented a prototype of the proposed protocol to show its feasibility and evaluate its privacy and security properties.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chaum, D.: Blind signatures for untraceable payments. In: Chaum, D., Rivest, R.L., Sherman, A.T. (eds.) Advances in Cryptology, pp. 199–203. Springer US (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.Dey, A., Weis, S.: PseudoID: Enhancing privacy in federated login. In: Hot Topics in Privacy Enhancing Technologies, pp. 95–107 (2010). http://www.pseudoid.net
- 3.Dingledine, R., Mathewson, N., Syverson, P.: Tor: The second-generation onion router. In: SSYM Proceedings, vol. 13. p. 21. USENIX Association, USA (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Free Software Foundation (FSF): Libgcrypt (2007). http://www.gnu.org/software/libgcrypt/
- 5.Freedom of the Press Foundation (FPF): SecureDrop (2013). https://securedrop.org/
- 6.French Institute for Research in Computer Science and Automation (INRIA): Taler (2015). http://www.taler.net
- 7.Hayes, P.D.: CryptoBallot (2013). https://cryptoballot.com/
- 8.Hermes Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights: GlobaLeaks (2011). https://www.globaleaks.org/
- 9.Stamatiou, Y., et al.: Course evaluation in higher education: the patras pilot of ABC4Trust. In: Rannenberg, K., Camenisch, J., Sabouri, A. (eds.) Attribute-based Credentials for Trust, pp. 197–239. Springer International Publishing (2015)Google Scholar