Adapting a Bandwidth-Efficient Information Dissemination Scheme for Urban VANETs
The recent release of standards for vehicular communications will hasten the development of smart cities in the following years. However, the standards do not define efficient schemes for infotainment dissemination over urban networks. These networks present special features and difficulties that may require special measures. In a previous work, we proposed three different schemes. The preliminary results of the three were satisfying but we still had to explore the values for some parameters that affect significantly their behavior. In this article, we tackle this task. Our findings clear up the strengths and weaknesses of each scheme and open the door to new advances.
KeywordsSmart City Vehicular Communication Urban Scenario Reception Angle Message Dissemination
This work was partially founded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation within the framework of projects TEC2010-20572-C02-01 “CONSEQUENCE” and TEC2014-54335-C4-2-R “INRISCO”.
- 1.OMNeT. http://www.omnetpp.org. Accessed Jun 2015
- 2.OpenStreetMap. http://www.openstreetmap.org. Accessed Jun 2015
- 3.Baguena, M., Tornell, S., Torres, A., Calafate, C., Cano, J.C., Manzoni, P.: VACaMobil: VANET Car Mobility manager for OMNeT++. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC), pp. 1057–1061, June 2013Google Scholar
- 4.ETSI: European Standard EN 302 636-4-1 V1.2.1: Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS); Vehicular communications; GeoNetworking; Part 4: Geographical addressing and forwarding for point-to-point and point-to-multipoint communications; Sub-part 1: Media-Independent Functionality, July 2014Google Scholar
- 5.Garcia-Lozano, E., Campo, C., Garcia-Rubio, C., Cortes-Martin, A.: Bandwidth-efficient techniques for information dissemination in urban vehicular networks. In: 11th ACM Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor and Ubiquitous Networks (PE-WASUN 2014), pp. 61–68, September 2014Google Scholar
- 8.Krajzewicz, D., Erdmann, J., Behrisch, M., Bieker, L.: Recent development and applications of SUMO - Simulation of Urban MObility. Int. J. Adv. Syst. Meas. 5(3&4), 128–138 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Salvo, P., De Felice, M., Cuomo, F., Baiocchi, A.: Infotainment traffic flow dissemination in an urban VANET. In: IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2012), pp. 67–72, December 2012Google Scholar
- 11.Sommer, C., Eckhoff, D., German, R., Dressler, F.: A computationally inexpensive empirical model of IEEE 802.11p radio shadowing in urban environments. In: 8th IEEE/IFIP Conference on Wireless On demand Network Systems and Services (WONS 2011), Bardonecchia, Italy, pp. 84–90, January 2011Google Scholar