Solidarity Filter for Noise Reduction of 3D Edges in Depth Images
3D applications processing depth images significantly benefit from 3D-edge extraction techniques. Intrinsic sensor noise in depth images is largely inherited to the extracted 3D edges. Conventional denoising algorithms remove some of this noise, but also weaken narrow edges, amplify noisy pixels and introduce false edges. We therefore propose a novel solidarity filter for noise removal in 3D edge images without artefacts such as false edges. The proposed filter is defining neighbouring pixels with similar properties and connecting those into larger segments beyond the size of a conventional filter aperture. The experimental results show that the solidarity filter outperforms the median and morphological close filters with \(42\,\%\) and \(69\,\%\) higher PSNR, respectively. In terms of the mean SSIM metric, the solidarity filter provides results that are \(11\,\%\) and \(21\,\%\) closer to the ground truth than the corresponding results obtained by the median and close filters, respectively.
KeywordsSolidarity filter Noise removal 3D edges Depth images Peak Signal-to-Noise Ratio Structural SIMilarity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dougherty, E.R.: An introduction to morphological image processing. SPIE Optical Engineering Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Gautam, A.: Image Denoising Using Switching Adaptive Decision Based Algorithm: Easy Removal of Salt and Pepper Impulsive Noise, ISBN: 9783846528853. Lap Lambert Acadademic Publication, GmbH KG (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Peng, H.: Automatic Denoising and Unmixing in Hyperspectral Image Processing, Ph.D. thesis, Rochester Institute of Technology (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Khare, A.: Wavelet Transform Based Techniques for Denoising of Medical Images, ISBN: 9783843362603, Lambert Academic Publishing (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Uddin, J., Shahjahan, M.: Image Denoising and Qualiy Enhancement of Corrupted Images. Lap Lambert Acad. Pub, GmbH KG (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Reddy, G.J., Prasad, T.J., Giriprasad, N.: Enhancement of Image Compression and Denoising by Curvelet Transform, LAP Lambert Acad. Publ. (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Saxena, C., Kourav, D.: Noises and Image Denoising Techniques: A Brief Survey. Int. Jour. of Emerging Tech. and Advanced Eng. 4, 878–885 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Gayathri, R.S., Sabeenian, G.R.: A Survey on Image Denoising Algorithms. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering 1(5), 456–462 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Roy, S., Sinha, N., Sen, A.K.: A New Hybrid Image Denoising Method. Int. Jour. of Info. Tech. and Knowledge Management 2, 491–497 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Luizou, C.P., Pattichis, C.S., Christodouluo, C.I., Istepanian, R.S.H., Pantziaris, M., Nicolaides, A.: Comparative Evaluation of Despecle Filtering In Ultrasound Imaging of the Carotid Artery. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control 52(10), 1653–1669 (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Javan Hemmat, H., Pourtaherian, A., Bondarev, E., de With, P.H.N.: Fast planar segmentation of depth images. In: Egiazarian, K.O., Agaian, S.S., Gotchev, A.P. (Eds.) Image Processing: Algorithms and Systems XIII. Proceedings of SPIE Vol. 9399, pp. 93990I. SPIE, Bellingham (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Javan Hemmat, H.A., Bondarev, E., de With, P.H.N.: Real-time planar-segmentation of depth images: from 3D-edges to segmented planes. accepted to SPIE Journal of Electronic Imaging (2015)Google Scholar