The ProtégéLOV Plugin: Ontology Access and Reuse for Everyone
Developing ontologies, by reusing already available and well-known ontologies, is commonly acknowledge to play a crucial role to facilitate inclusion and expansion of the Web of Data. Some recommendations exist to guide ontologists in ontology engineering, but they do not provide guidelines on how to reuse vocabularies at low fine grained, i.e., reusing specific classes and properties. Moreover, it is still hard to find a tool that provides users with an environment to reuse terms. This paper presents ProtégéLOV, a plugin for the ontology editor Protégé, that combines the access to the Linked Open Vocabularies (LOV) during ontology modeling. It allows users to search a term in LOV and provides three actions if the term exists: (i) replace the selected term in the current ontology; (ii) add the rdfs:subClassOf or rdfs:subPropertyOf axiom between the selected term and the local term; and (iii) add the owl:equivalentClass or owl:equivalentProperty between the selected term and local term. Results from a preliminary user study indicate that ProtégéLOV does provide an intuitive access and reuse of terms in external vocabularies.
KeywordsOntology engineering Ontology reuse LOV Protégé Plugin
Thanks to Pierre-Yves and the LOV team for maintaining the LOV catalog and the API access.
- 1.D’Aquin, M., Baldassarre, C., Gridinoc, L., Sabou, M., Angeletou, S., Motta, E.: Watson: Supporting next generation semantic web applications (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.D’Aquin, M., Suárez-Figueroa, M.C.: A Quick Guide to Knowledge Reuse with the Watson Plugin for the NeOn Toolkit (2008). http://watson.kmi.open.ac.uk/DownloadsAndPublications_files/WNTP-guide.pdf
- 3.Haase, P., Lewen, H., Studer, R., Tran, D., Erdmann, M., d’Aquin, M., Motta, E.: The neon ontology engineering toolkit. In: WWW (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Hyland, B., Atemezing, G., Villazon-Terrazas, B.: Best Practices for Publishing Linked Data. W3C Working Group Note (2014). http://www.w3.org/TR/ld-bp/
- 6.Lonsdale, D., Embley, D.W., Ding, Y., Xu, L., Hepp, M.: Reusing ontologies and language components for ontology generation. Data Knowl. Eng. 69(4), 318–330 (2010). Including Special Section: 12th International Conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems (NLDB2007) - Three selected and extended papersCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Vandenbussche, P.-Y., Atemezing, G.A., Poveda-Villalónc, M., Vatant, B.: LOV: a gateway to reusable semantic vocabularies on the Web. Semantic Web Journal (under review) (2015). http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/system/files/swj974.pdf
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.