Preserving Maximum Color Contrast in Generation of Gray Images
We propose a method to preserve maximum color contrast when converting a color image to its gray representation. Specifically, we aim to preserve color contrast in the color image as gray contrast in the gray image. Given a color image, we first extract unique colors of the image through robust clustering for its color values. We tailor a non-linear decolorization function that preserves the maximum contrast in the gray image on the basis of the color contrast between the unique colors. A key contribution of our method is the proposal of a color-gray feature that tightly couples color contrast information with gray contrast information. We compute the optimal color-gray feature, and focus the search for a decolorization function on generating a color-gray feature that is most similar to the optimal one. This decolorization function is then used to convert the color image to its gray representation. Our experiments and a user study demonstrate the superior performance of this method in comparison with current state-of-the-art techniques.
KeywordsImage processing Image decolorization Feature representation Coarse-to-fine search
- 1.The MathWorks, I.: MATLAB version 7.10.0 (r2010a) (2010). http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/
- 2.Neumann, L., Čadík, M., Nemcsics, A.: An efficient perception-based adaptive color to gray transformation. In: Proceedings of the Third Eurographics Conference on Computational Aesthetics in Graphics, Visualization and Imaging, Eurographics Association, pp. 73–80 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bala, R., Eschbach, R.: Spatial color-to-grayscale transform preserving chrominance edge information. In: Color and Imaging Conference, vol. 2004, Society for Imaging Science and Technology, pp. 82–86 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, Y., Jang, C., Demouth, J., Lee, S.: Robust color-to-gray via nonlinear global mapping. ACM Trans. Graph. (TOG) 28, 161 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Lu, C., Xu, L., Jia, J.: Real-time contrast preserving decolorization. In: SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 Technical Briefs, p. 34. ACM (2012)Google Scholar