Toward RDF Normalization
Billions of RDF triples are currently available on the Web through the Linked Open Data cloud (e.g., DBpedia, LinkedGeoData and New York Times). Governments, universities as well as companies (e.g., BBC, CNN) are also producing huge collections of RDF triples and exchanging them through different serialization formats (e.g., RDF/XML, Turtle, N-Triple, etc.). However, RDF descriptions (i.e., graphs and serializations) are verbose in syntax, often contain redundancies, and could be generated differently even when describing the same resources, which would have a negative impact on their processing. Hence, we propose here an approach to clean and eliminate redundancies from such RDF descriptions as a means of transforming different descriptions of the same information into one representation, which can then be tuned, depending on the target application (information retrieval, compression, etc.). Experimental tests show significant improvements, namely in reducing RDF description loading time and file size.
KeywordsRdf graph Serialization Redundancies and disparities
This work has been partly supported by FINCyT (Fund for Innovation, Science and Technology) of Peru.
- 3.Gutierrez, C., et al.: Foundations of semantic web databases. In: PODS 2004, pp. 95–106. ACM (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Kerzazi, A., et al.: A model-based mediator system for biological data integration. In: Journes Scientifiques en Bio-Informatique, pp. 70–77 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Kerzazi, A., et al.: A semantic mediation architecture for RDF data integration. In: SWAP, p. 3 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Longley, D.: RDF dataset normalization (2015). http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/rdf-dataset-normalization/
- 12.Salameh, K., Tekli, J., Chbeir, R.: SVG-to-RDF image Semantization. In: Traina, A.J.M., Traina Jr., C., Cordeiro, R.L.F. (eds.) SISAP 2014. LNCS, vol. 8821, pp. 214–228. Springer, Heidelberg (2014) Google Scholar
- 13.Sporny, M., Longley, D.: RDF graph normalization (2013). http://json-ld.org/spec/ED/rdf-graph-normalization/20111016/
- 14.Tao, C., et al.: A RDF-base normalized model for biomedical lexical grid. In: The 8th International Semantic Web Conference, p. 2 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Ticona-Herrera, R., et al.: Rdf similarity. Technical report (2015). http://rdfn.sigappfr.org/RDFN-TR-15.pdf
- 16.Vrandecic, D., et al.: RDF syntax normalization using XML validation. In: Proceedings of the SemRUs, p. 11 (2009)Google Scholar