Hybrid Secure Data Aggregation in Wireless Sensor Networks
Secure data aggregation aims at combining security and data aggregation together to meet the requirements of data-centric networks such as wireless sensor network. Secure data aggregation protocols provide either hop-by-hop security or end-to-end security. However, hop-by-hop secure data aggregation is vulnerable to attackers at intermediate nodes while end-to-end secure data aggregation increases the communication overhead. In this paper, we propose a hybrid secure data aggregation protocol to balance the trade-off between privacy and communication overhead. The proposed protocol uses the symmetric-key based privacy homomorphism to ensure the privacy of sensor readings at intermediate nodes. In addition, the proposed protocol efficiently deals with the key management issues that exist in the state-of-the-art symmetric-key based protocols. The proposed protocol also reduces the communication overhead as compared to the existing end-to-end secure data aggregation protocols. Comprehensive analysis and comparisons validate the viability of the proposed protocol in resource-constrained wireless sensor networks.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Security Secure data aggregation Privacy homomorphism Communication overhead
This research was a part of the project “A Secure Data Aggregation System and An Intrusion Detection System for Wireless Sensor Networks”. It was supported by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India.
- 1.Akyildiz, I.F., Su, W., Sankarasubramaniam, Y., Cayirci, E.: Wireless sensor networks: a survey. Comput. Netw. Int. J. Comput. Telecommun. Netw. 38(4), 393–422 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Castelluccia, C., Chan, A.C.F., Mykletun, E., Tsudik, G.: Efficient and provably secure aggregation of encrypted data in wireless sensor networks. ACM Trans. Sens. Netw. (TOSN) 5(3), 20:1–20:36 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Castelluccia, C., Mykletun, E., Tsudik, G.: Efficient aggregation of encrypted data in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Annual International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Networking and Services, MOBIQUITOUS 2005, pp. 109–117. IEEE, Washington, D.C., July 2005Google Scholar
- 8.Girao, J., Westhoff, D., Schneider, M.: CDA: concealed data aggregation for reverse multicast traffic in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 40th International Conference on Communications, ICC 2005, pp. 3044–3049. IEEE, Seoul, May 2005Google Scholar
- 10.Hankerson, D., Menezes, A.J., Vanstone, S.: Guide to Elliptic Curve Cryptography, 1st edn. Springer, Secaucus (2003) Google Scholar
- 12.Hu, L., Evans, D.: Secure aggregation for wireless networks. In: Proceedings of the Symposium on Applications and the Internet Workshops, SAINT 2003, pp. 384–391. IEEE, Washington, D.C., January 2003Google Scholar
- 14.Levis, P., Madden, S., Polastre, J., Szewczyk, R., Whitehouse, K., Woo, A., Gay, D., Hill, J., Welsh, M., Brewer, E., Culler, D.: TinyOS: an operating system for sensor networks. In: Weber, W., Rabaey, J.M., Aarts, E. (eds.) Ambient Intelligence, pp. 115–148. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Malan, D.J., Welsh, M., Smith, M.D.: A public-key infrastructure for key distribution in TinyOS based on elliptic curve cryptography. In: Proceedings of the 1st Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks, SECON 2004, pp. 71–80. IEEE, Santa Clara, October 2004Google Scholar
- 16.Mlaih, E., Aly, S.A.: Secure hop-by-hop aggregation of end-to-end concealed data in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE Workshop on Mission Critical Networking in Conjunction with Infocom 2008, MCN 2008, pp. 1–6. IEEE, Phoenix, April 2008Google Scholar
- 17.Mykletun, E., Girao, J., Westhoff, D.: Public key based cryptoschemes for data concealment in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2006, pp. 2288–2295. IEEE, Istanbul, June 2006Google Scholar
- 19.Parmar, K., Jinwala, D.C.: Malleability resilient concealed data aggregation. In: Kermarrec, Y. (ed.) EUNICE 2014. LNCS, vol. 8846, pp. 160–172. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 21.Peter, S., Piotrowski, K., Langendoerfer, P.: On concealed data aggregation for WSNs. In: Proceedings of the 4th IEEE Consumer Communications Networking Conference, CCNC 2007, pp. 192–196. IEEE, Las Vegas, January 2007Google Scholar