Surface Reconstruction from Point Clouds Using a Novel Variational Model
Multi-view reconstruction has been an active research topic in the computer vision community for decades. However, state of the art 3D reconstruction systems have lacked the speed, accuracy, and ease to use properties required by the industry. The work described in this paper is part of the effort to produce a multi-view reconstruction system for a UK company. A novel variational level set method is developed for reconstructing an accurate implicit surface for a set of unorganised points (point cloud). The variational model consists of three energy terms to ensure accurate and smooth surface reconstruction whilst preserving the fine details of the point cloud and increasing speed. The model also completely eliminated the need for reinitialisation associated with the level set method. Implementation details of the variational model using gradient descent optimisation are given, and the roles of its three energy terms are illustrated through numerical experiments. Experiments show that the proposed method outperformed the state of the art surface reconstruction approaches.
- 2.Amenta, N., Bern, M., Kamvysselis, M.: A new Voronoi-based surface reconstruction algorithm. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp. 415–421 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhao, H.K., Osher, S., Fedkiw, R.: Fast surface reconstruction using the level set method. In: Proceedings IEEE Workshop on Variational and Level Set Methods in Computer Vision, 2001, pp. 194–201. IEEE (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Ye, J., Bresson, X., Goldtein, T., Osher, S.: A fast variational method for surface reconstruction from sets of scattered points. CAM Report, 10(01) (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, C.M., Xu, C.Y., Gui, C.F., Fox, M.D.: Level set evolution without re-initialization: a new variational formulation. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2005. CVPR 2005, 1, pp. 430–436. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Kazhdan, M., Bolitho, M., Hoppe, H.: Poisson surface reconstruction. In: Proceedings of the fourth Eurographics symposium on Geometry processing (2006)Google Scholar