An Algebra of Qualitative Taxonomical Relations for Ontology Alignments
Algebras of relations were shown useful in managing ontology alignments. They make it possible to aggregate alignments disjunctively or conjunctively and to propagate alignments within a network of ontologies. The previously considered algebra of relations contains taxonomical relations between classes. However, compositional inference using this algebra is sound only if we assume that classes which occur in alignments have nonempty extensions. Moreover, this algebra covers relations only between classes. Here we introduce a new algebra of relations, which, first, solves the limitation of the previous one, and second, incorporates all qualitative taxonomical relations that occur between individuals and concepts, including the relations “is a” and “is not”. We prove that this algebra is coherent with respect to the simple semantics of alignments.
KeywordsRelation algebra Ontology alignment Network of ontologies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Grau, B.C., Patel-Schneider, P., Motik, B.: OWL 2 Web Ontology Lan- guage Direct Semantics, 2nd edn. W3C Recommendation. W3C, December 2012. http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-owl2-direct-semantics-20121211/
- 8.Harris, S., Seaborne, A., Prud’hommeaux, E.: SPARQL 1.1 Query Language (2013). W3C Recommendation (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Homola, M.: Semantic Investigations in Distributed Ontologies. PhD thesis. Bratislava, Slovakia: Comenius University (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Lange, C., Mossakowski, T., Kutz, O., Galinski, C., Grüninger, M., Vale, D.C.: The distributed ontology language (DOL): use cases, syntax, and extensibility. In: Proc. of TKE 2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Zimmermann, A.: Integrated distributed description logics. In: Proc. of DL 2007, pp. 507–514 (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Zimmermann, A., Euzenat, J.: Three semantics for distributed systems and their relations with alignment composition. In: Cruz, I., Decker, S., Allemang, D., Preist, C., Schwabe, D., Mika, P., Uschold, M., Aroyo, L.M. (eds.) ISWC 2006. LNCS, vol. 4273, pp. 16–29. Springer, Heidelberg (2006) CrossRefGoogle Scholar