Towards Interactive Verification of Programmable Logic Controllers Using Modal Kleene Algebra and KIV
In this paper we develop an approach to interactive verification of programmable logic controllers which often serve as controllers in safety critical systems and hence need thorough verification. As a verification tool we use the KIV system, whereas the formalization is done in modal Kleene algebra. We first prove a bunch of theorems from modal Kleene algebra in KIV, subsequently translate the desired properties of a program for a programmable logic controller in modal Kleene algebra, and finally prove these encoded properties interactively with KIV.
KeywordsBoolean Function Mutual Exclusion Linear Temporal Logic Automate Reasoning Programmable Logic Controller
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Coq. https://coq.inria.fr/ (Online; accessed July 7, 2015)
- 2.IEC61131. http://webstore.iec.ch/webstore/webstore.nsf/artnum/048541opendocument (Online; accessed April 1, 2015)
- 3.Isabelle. https://isabelle.in.tum.de/ (Online; accessed July 7, 2015)
- 4.The KIV system. http://www.informatik.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle/swt/se/kiv/ (Online; accessed November 5, 2014)
- 5.NuSMV. http://nusmv.fbk.eu/ (Online; accessed July 7, 2015)
- 6.Prover9. https://www.cs.unm.edu/~mccune/mace4/ (Online; accessed July 7, 2015)
- 7.Step7. http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/simatic-controller-software/en/step7/ (Online; accessed April 1, 2015)
- 12.Dang, H., Höfner, P.: Automated higher-order reasoning about quantales. In: Schmidt, R.A., Schulz, S., Konev, B. (eds.) Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Practical Aspects of Automated Reasoning, PAAR 2010. EPiC Series, vol. 9, pp. 40–51. EasyChair, Edinburgh (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Kozen, D.: A completeness theorem for kleene algebras and the algebra of regular events. Information and Computation 110(2), 366–390Google Scholar
- 21.Pavlovic, O., Ehrich, H.: Model checking PLC software written in function block diagram. In: Third International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation, ICST 2010, Paris, France, April 7-9. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. IEEE Computer Society (2010)Google Scholar
- 22.Pavlovic, O., Pinger, R., Kollmann, M.: Automation of formal verification of PLC programs written in IL. In: Beckert, B. (ed.) Proceedings of 4th International Verification Workshop in connection with CADE-21, Bremen, Germany, July 15-16. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 259. CEUR-WS.org (2007)Google Scholar