Dynathor: Dynamics of the Complex of Cytochrome P450 and Cytochrome P450 Reductase in a Phospholipid Bilayer
The Dynathor project aims at understanding the interaction of cytochrome P450 (CYP, P450) enzymes and their redox partner, cytochrome P450 reductase (CPR), in a phospholipid bilayer. Through simulation studies on the HLRS CRAY systems (initially XE6, later on XC40), we investigated the interactions of models of membrane-bound P450s (CYP51 and CYP1A1) and CPR. A model of membrane-bound T. brucei CYP51 and the human CPR was successfully built and simulated for 217.5 ns. A model of human CYP1A1 and the human CPR in a phospholipid bilayer was also built and is being simulated. These models can be used as starting points to understand the selectivity of the interactions of CYPs with CPR in the native membrane-bound forms, and thus may aid drug discovery projects.
Furthermore, we evaluated the method of Random Acceleration Molecular Dynamics (RAMD) for use in calculating relative residence times of proteins with small molecules. This would allow the computation of relative off rates for drug molecules. As a small model system for this evaluation, we use the N-terminal domain of human heat shock protein 90 (HSP90) and a set of different ligands. The obtained RAMD simulated residence times show a clear correlation with experimental values.
KeywordsNicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Phosphate Flavin Adenine Dinucleotide Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Phosphate Cytochrome P450 Reductase Redox Partner
We gratefully acknowledge the support of the Klaus Tschira Foundation, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for scholarships to Prajwal Nandekar and Ghulam Mustafa as well as the EU/EFPIA Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) Joint Undertaking, “Kinetics for Drug Discovery”, K4DD (grant no. 115366). Finally, we would like to thank the HLRS for providing CPU time for this project.
- 2.Theoretical and U. o. I. a. U.-C. Computational Biophysics Group: NAMD 2.9 release notes. http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.9/notes.html. Online; Accessed 27 March 2015
- 3.Theoretical and U. o. I. a. U.-C. Computational Biophysics Group: NAMD 2.10b2 release notes. http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.10b2/notes.html. Online; Accessed 27 March 2015
- 4.HLRS: Cray XE6. https://wickie.hlrs.de/platforms/index.php/Cray_XE6. Online; Accessed 27 March 2015
- 5.HLRS: Cray XC40. https://wickie.hlrs.de/platforms/index.php/Cray_XC40. Online; Accessed 27 March 2015
- 6.Lüdemann, S.K., Lounnas, V., Wade, R.C.: How do substrates enter and products exit the buried active site of cytochrome P450cam? 1. Random expulsion molecular dynamics investigation of ligand access channels and mechanisms. J. Mol. Biol. 303, 797–811 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Lüdemann, S.K., Lounnas, V., Wade, R.C.: How do substrates enter and products exit the buried active site of cytochrome P450cam? 2. Steered molecular dynamics and adiabatic mapping of substrate pathways. J. Mol. Biol. 303, 813–830 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Phillips, J.C., Stone, J.E., Vandivort, K.L., Armstrong, T.G., Wozniak, J.M., Wilde, M., Schulten, K.: Petascale tcl with NAMD, VMD, and Swift/T, in Proceedings of the 1st First Workshop for High Performance Technical Computing in Dynamic Languages, HPTCDL ’14, (Piscataway, NJ, USA), pp. 6–17. IEEE Press, New York (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Ahuja, S., Jahr, N., Im, S.-C., Vivekanandan, S., Popovych, N., Le Clair, S.V., Huang, R., Soong, R., Xu, J., Yamamoto, K., Nanga, R.P., Bridges, A., Waskell, L., Ramamoorthy, A.: A model of the membrane-bound cytochrome b5-cytochrome P450 complex from nmr and mutagenesis data. J. Biol. Chem. 288, 22080–22095 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Gabdoulline, R.R., Wade, R.C.: On the contributions of diffusion and thermal activation to electron transfer between phormidium laminosum plastocyanin and cytochrome f: Brownian dynamics simulations with explicit modeling of nonpolar desolvation interactions and electron transfer events. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 9230–9238 (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Hiruma, Y., Hass, M.A.S., Kikui, Y., Liu, W.-M., Ölmez, B., Skinner, S.P., Blok, A., Kloosterman, A., Koteishi, H., Löhr, F., Schwalbe, H., Nojiri, M., Ubbink, M.: The structure of the cytochrome P450cam-putidaredoxin complex determined by paramagnetic nmr spectroscopy and crystallography. J. Mol. Biol. 425, 4353–4365 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar