Practice-Oriented Evaluation of Unsupervised Labeling of Audiovisual Content in an Archive Production Environment
In this paper we report on an evaluation of unsupervised labeling of audiovisual content using collateral text data sources to investigate how such an approach can provide acceptable results given requirements with respect to archival quality, authority and service levels to external users. We conclude that with parameter settings that are optimized using a rigorous evaluation of precision and accuracy, the quality of automatic term-suggestion are sufficiently high. Having implemented the procedure in our production work-flow allows us to gradually develop the system further and also assess the effect of the transformation from manual to automatic from an end-user perspective. Additional future work will be on deploying different information sources including annotations based on multimodal video analysis such as speaker recognition and computer vision.
KeywordsAudiovisual access Information extraction Thesaurus Audiovisual archives Practice-oriented evaluation
This research was funded by the MediaManagement Programme at the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, the Dutch National Research Programme COMMIT/ and supported by NWO CATCH program (http://www.nwo.nl/catch) and the Dutch Ministry of Culture.
- 2.Ordelman, R., Heeren, W., Huijbregts, M., de Jong, F., Hiemstra, D.: Towards affordable disclosure of spoken heritage archives. J. Digital Inf. 10(6), 17 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Declerck, T., Kuper, J., Saggion, H., Samiotou, A., Wittenburg, J.P., Contreras, J.: Contribution of NLP to the content indexing of multimedia documents. In: Enser, P.G.B., Kompatsiaris, Y., O’Connor, N.E., Smeaton, A.F., Smeulders, A.W.M. (eds.) CIVR 2004. LNCS, vol. 3115, pp. 610–618. Springer, Heidelberg (2004) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Likert, R.: A technique for the measurement of attitudes. Arch. Psychol. 22, 1–55 (1932)Google Scholar
- 7.Manning, C.D., Surdeanu, M., Bauer, J., Finkel, J., Bethard, S.J., McClosky, D.: The stanford corenlp natural language processing toolkit. In: Proceedings of 52nd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics: System Demonstrations, pp. 55–60 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Bontcheva, K., Tablan, V., Maynard, D., Cunningham, H.: Evolving gate to meet new challenges in language engineering. Nat. Lang. Eng. 10, 349–373 (9 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Tommasi, T., Aly, R., McGuinness, K., Chatfield, K., Arandjelovic, R., Parkhi, O., Ordelman, R., Zisserman, A., Tuytelaars, T.: Beyond metadata: searching your archive based on its audio-visual content. In: IBC 2014, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (2014)Google Scholar