This installation presents a multiplayer stationary bicycle exergame for four players. The game is played in teams of two, where the players compete to outmaneuver the opposition. Pedal Tanks is being developed to increase the physical activity levels of people struggling to find motivation to exercise. Inspiration for the gameplay has been found in the computer game industry, using elements from contemporary popular computer games and combining them in a cohesive way yields an exergame that is both familiar and engaging. Both the software and hardware used has been custom-made to create an immersive experience where the user forgets that he/she is exercising while playing.
KeywordsExergame exertion game active video game computer game sedentary lifestyle competitive multiplayer physical activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ferrari, S.: From Generative to Conventional Play: MOBA and League of Legends. In: DiGRA 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Forbes, “Riot games league of legends officially becomes most played pc game in the world”, http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/11/riot-games-league-of-legends-officially-becomes-most-played-pc-game-in-the-world/ (accessed November 29, 2014)
- 3.Gray, F.: Pulse code communication, http://www.google.com/patents/US2632058 (accessed November 1, 2014)
- 4.Hu, F.B.: Sedentary lifestyle and risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Lakka, T.A., Laaksonen, D.E., Lakka, H.M., Männikö, N., Niskanen, L.K., Rauramaa, R., Salonen, J.T.: Sedentary Lifestyle, Poor Cardiorespiratory Fitness, and the Metabolic Syndrome (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Macvean, A., Robertson, J.: Unserstanding exergame users’ physical activity, motivation and behavior over time. In: SIGCHI Conference on human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1251–1260 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Norwegian Health Informatics, http://nhi.no/forside/urovekkende-lavt-niva-av-fysisk-aktivitet-41842.html (in Norwegian) (accessed January 11, 2015)
- 8.Rideout, V.J., Foehr, U.G., Roberts, D.F., Generation, M.: Media in the Lives of 8-to 18-Year-Olds. Henry J. Kaiser Family FoundationGoogle Scholar
- 9.Statista, “Most played pc games on gaming platform raptr in april 2015, by share of playing time”, http://www.statista.com/statistics/251222/most-played-pc-games/ (accessed March 5, 2015)