Computational Collective Intelligence pp 203-212
Performance Evaluation of Multi-UAV Cooperative Mission Planning Models
The Multi-UAV Cooperative Mission Planning Problem (MCMPP) is a complex problem which can be represented with a lower or higher level of complexity. In this paper we present a MCMPP which is modelled as a Constraint Satisfaction Problem (CSP) with 5 increasing levels of complexity. Each level adds additional variables and constraints to the problem. Using previous models, we solve the problem using a Branch and Bound search designed to minimize the fuel consumption and number of UAVs employed in the mission, and the results show how runtime increases as the level of complexity increases in most cases, as expected, but there are some cases where the opposite happens.
KeywordsUnmanned aircraft systems Mission planning Constraint satisfaction problems Branch and bound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allen, J.F.: Maintaining knowledge about temporal intervals. Communications of the ACM, 832–843 (1983)Google Scholar
- 2.Barták, R.: Constraint programming: in pursuit of the holy grail. In: Week of Doctoral Students, pp. 555–564 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Kvarnström, J., Doherty, P.: Automated planning for collaborative UAV systems. In: Control Automation Robotics & Vision, pp. 1078–1085, December 2010Google Scholar
- 8.Leary, S., Deittert, M., Bookless, J.: Constrained UAV mission planning: a comparison of approaches. In: 2011 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (ICCV Workshops), pp. 2002–2009, November 2011Google Scholar
- 9.Mouhoub, M.: Solving temporal constraints in real time and in a dynamic environment. Tech. Rep. WS-02-17. AAAI (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Ramirez-Atencia, C., Bello-Orgaz, G., R-Moreno, M.D., Camacho, D.: A simple CSP-based model for unmanned air vehicle mission planning. In: IEEE International Symposium on INnovations in Intelligent SysTems and Application, pp. 146–153 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Ramírez-Atencia, C., Bello-Orgaz, G., R-Moreno, M.D., Camacho, D.: Branching to find feasible solutions in unmanned air vehicle mission planning. In: Corchado, E., Lozano, J.A., Quintián, H., Yin, H. (eds.) IDEAL 2014. LNCS, vol. 8669, pp. 286–294. Springer, Heidelberg (2014) Google Scholar
- 13.Schulte, C., Tack, G., Lagerkvist, M.Z.: Modeling and Programming with Gecode (2010). http://www.gecode.org/
- 14.Schumacher, C., Chandler, P., Pachter, M., Pachter, L.: UAV Task Assignment with Timing Constraints via Mixed-Integer Linear Programming. Tech. rep, DTIC Document (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Tang, L., Zhu, C., Zhang, W., Liu, Z.: Robust mission planning based on nested genetic algorithm. In: 2011 Fourth International Workshop on Advanced Computational Intelligence (IWACI), pp. 45–49, October 2011Google Scholar