Communicate! — A Serious Game for Communication Skills —
Communicate! is a serious game for practicing communication skills. It supports practicing interpersonal communication skills between a health care professional such as a doctor or a pharmacist, or a (business) psychologist, and a patient or client. A player selects a scenario, and holds a consultation with a virtual character. In the consultation, the player chooses between the various options offered in the scenario. The player scores on the learning goals addressed by the scenario, and gets immediate feedback through the effect of the choice between the answer options on the utterance and emotion of the virtual character. Communicate! also offers an editor for scenarios. A scenario is a graph-like structure, extended with several constructs to avoid the development of repetitive structures. We have performed several experiments with Communicate!, both with students to evaluate the use of Communicate! in various programs at Utrecht University, and with teachers to evaluate the development of scenarios for Communicate!
KeywordsCommunication skills Scenarios Authoring scenarios
- 1.Silverman, J., Kurtz, S., Draper, J.: Skills For Communicating With Patients, 3rd edn. Radcliffe Publishing Limited, Milton Keynes (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Gray, C., Moffet, J.: Handbook of Veterinary Communication Skills. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.van der Molen, H.T., Kluytmans, F., Kramer, M.: Gespreksvoering. Vaardigheden en modellen (in Dutch). Wolters-Noordhoff (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Despain, W. (ed.): Writing for Video Games: From FPS to RPG. A.K. Peters, Natick (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Muller, T.J., Heuvelink, A., van den Bosch, K., Swartjes, I.: Glengarry glen ross: using BDI for sales game dialogues. In: Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment, pp. 167–172 (2012)Google Scholar