The Role of CM in Agile Development of Safety-Critical Software
Agile development is getting more and more used, also in the development of safety-critical software. For the sake of certification, it is necessary to comply with relevant standards – in this case IEC 61508 and EN 50128. In this paper we focus on two aspects of the need for configuration management and SafeScrum. First and foremost we need to adapt SafeScrum to the standards’ needs for configuration management. We show that this can be achieved by relative simple amendments to SafeScrum. In addition – in order to keep up with a rapidly changing set of development paradigms it is necessary to move the standards’ requirement in a goal based direction – more focus on what and not so much focus on how.
KeywordsSafety critical systems Agile software development Configuration management IEC61508 EN 50128
This work was partially funded by the Norwegian Research Council under grant #228431 (the SUSS project).
- 1.Rey-Mermet, B.: Agile Configuration Management-overview, 23 May 2013. http://evocean.com/blog/agile-development/
- 2.Norin, J.: Lean Configuration Management. Evolving the CM Discipline Through the Agile Paradigm Shift. http://intellijens.se
- 3.Lindroth-Olson, Prentare, O.: What, When, Why and How. Introducing Software Configuration Management in Agile Projects, February 28 2012Google Scholar
- 4.Koskela, J.: Software configuration management in agile methods, 514th edn. VTT-publications, Espoo (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Moreira, M.E.: Adapting Configuration Management for Agile Teams: Balancing Sustainability and Speed. Wiley. ISBN: 978-0-470-74663-9 October 2009Google Scholar
- 6.Jonassen Hass, A.M.: Configuration Management Principles and Practice. Addison-Wesley ProfessionalGoogle Scholar
- 7.Black, R.: Managing the Testing Process: Practical Tools and Techniques for Managing Hardware and Software Testing, John Wiley and Sons (2002). ISBN 0471223980, 9780471223986Google Scholar
- 8.Stålhane, T., Myklebust, T., Hanssen, G.K.: The application of Safe Scrum to IEC 61508 certifiable software. ESREL, Helsinki (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Stålhane, T., Hanssen, G.K., Myklebust, T., Haugset, B.: Agile Change Impact Analysis of Safety Critical Software, SASSUR. Florence, Italy (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.IEEE: Standard Glossary of Software Terminology. IEEE Std. 610. 12–1990Google Scholar
- 11.Bjerke-Gulstuen, K., Wiik Larsen, E., Stålhane, T., Dingsøyr, T.: High level test driven development – Shift Left: How a large-scale agile development project organized testing. XP2015, Helsinki, FinlandGoogle Scholar
- 12.IEEE: Standard for Configuration Management in Systems and Software Engineering. IEEE Std. 828 - 2012Google Scholar