Data Movement in the Internet of Things Domain
Managing data produced in the Internet of Things according to the traditional data-center based approach is becoming no longer appropriate. Devices are improving their computational power as the processors installed on them are more and more powerful and diverse. Moreover, devices cannot guarantee a continuous connection due their mobility and limitation of battery life.
Goal of this paper is to tackle this issue focusing on data movement to eliminate the unnecessary storage, transfer and processing of datasets by concentrating only the data subsets that are relevant. A cross-layered framework is proposed to give to both applications and developers the abstracted ability to choose which aspect to optimize, based on their goals and requirements and to data providers an environment that facilitates data provisioning according to users’ needs.
KeywordsData movement optimization Internet of Things Information and data quality
- 3.Cappiello, C., Schreiber, F.A.: Quality- and energy-aware data compression by aggregation in wsn data streams. In: Proc. of the 2009 IEEE Int’l Conf. on Pervasive Computing and Communications, PERCOM 2009, pp. 1–6. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Gantz, J., Reinsel, D.: Extracting values from chaos. IDC, June 2011. http://www.emc.com/collateral/analyst-reports/idc-extracting-value-from-chaos-ar.pdf
- 5.Guyer, S.Z., Lin, C.: An annotation language for optimizing software libraries. In: Proc. of the 2nd Conf, on Domain-specific Languages, DSL 1999, pp. 39–52. ACM, New York (1999). http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/331960.331970
- 6.Heinrich, M., Grüneberger, F.J., Springer, T., Gaedke, M.: Exploiting annotations for the rapid development of collaborative web applications. In: Proc. of the 22nd Int’l Conf. on World Wide Web, WWW 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, pp. 551–560 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Kousiouris, G., Kyriazis, D., Gogouvitis, S., Menychtas, A., Konstanteli, K., Varvarigou, T.: Translation of application-level terms to resource-level attributes across the cloud stack layers. In: 2011 IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), pp. 153–160, June 2011Google Scholar
- 8.Kousiouris, G., Menychtas, A., Kyriazis, D., Konstanteli, K., Gogouvitis, S., Katsaros, G., Varvarigou, T.: Parametric design and performance analysis of a decoupled service-oriented prediction framework based on embedded numerical software. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing 6(4), 511–524 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Nguyen, T., Cicotti, P., Bylaska, E., Quinlan, D., Baden, S.B.: Bamboo: translating mpi applications to a latency-tolerant, data-driven form. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, SC 2012, pp. 39:1–39:11. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2012). http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2388996.2389050
- 10.Quinlan, D., Schordan, M., Vuduc, R., Yi, Q.: Annotating user-defined abstractions for optimization. In: 20th International on Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, IPDPS 2006, p. 8, April 2006Google Scholar
- 12.Ren, Y., Li, T., Yu, D., Jin, S., Robertazzi, T., Tierney, B.L., Pouyoul, E.: Protocols for wide-area data-intensive applications: design and performance issues. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, SC 2012, pp. 34:1–34:11. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Tai, J., Sheng, B., Yao, Y., Mi, N.: Live data migration for reducing sla violations in multi-tiered storage systems. In: Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering, IC2E 2014, pp. 361–366. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IC2E.2014.8
- 14.Vitali, M., Pernici, B., OReilly, U.M.: Learning a goal-oriented model for energy efficient adaptive applications in data centers. Information Sciences (2015)Google Scholar