Quality Standardization of Traditional Dry Fermented Sausages: Case of Petrovská klobása
The European market of dry-cured meat products is characterized by a wide range of traditional fermented sausages, which come from different parts of the continent, primarily from the Mediterranean. Production of these products has lasted for centuries and when the first sausage was produced remains uncertain, because its production dates from the period before written history. Traditional dry-fermented sausages, originating from different countries and regions, are characterized by specific sensory and physicochemical properties affected by the environmental conditions, raw materials, production method, activity and composition of present microflora, biochemical and physicochemical changes occurring during the smoking, fermentation, drying, and ripening process, and specificities of the local population (customs, habits, traditions, religion, etc.). Diversity in appearance, color, taste, smell, and texture of these products can contribute to the preservation of gastronomic heritage and culture, as well as economic development of rural areas by increasing consumption and production volume (Santos et al. 1998; Casaburi et al. 2007; Aquilanti et al. 2007; Talon et al. 2007; Latorre-Moratalla et al. 2008; Roseiro et al. 2008; Settanni and Moschetti 2014).
KeywordsLactic Acid Bacterium Lactic Acid Bacterium Strain Leuconostoc Mesenteroides Fermented Sausage Lactobacillus Sakei
This study was supported by the Ministry of Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia, Project No. TR31032.
- Džinić N, Petrović LJ, Tomović V, Jokanović M (2009) Influence of seasons on pig halves and meat quality (M. longissimus, dorsi) of three-race hybrids. Biotechnol Anim Hus 25:803–809Google Scholar
- Latorre-Moratalla ML, Veciana-Nogués T, Bover-Cid S, Garriga M, Aymerich T, Zanardi E, Ianieri A, Fraqueza MJ, Patarata L, Drosinos EH, Lauková A, Talon R, Vidal-Carou MC (2008) Biogenic amines in traditional fermented sausages produced in selected European countries. Food Chem 107:912–921CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Petrović LJ, Džinić N, Tomović V, Ikonić P, Tasić T (2007) Code of practice—registrated geographical indication Petrovská klobása (Petrovačka kobasica). Intellectual Property Office, Republic of Serbia. Decision number 9652/06 G-03/06, 21. 05. 2007Google Scholar
- Petrović LJ, Tomović V, Džinić N, Tasić T, Ikonić P (2009) Parameters and criteria for quality evaluation of pork carcass halves. Tehnologija mesa 50:121–139Google Scholar
- Petrović LJ, Savatić S, Dzinić N, Ikonić P, Tomović V, Tasić T, Šojić B, Jokanović M (2010) Color changes of traditional fermented dry sausage (Petrovská Klobása) during smoking and drying under controlled conditions. In: Proceedings of the 2nd workshop “feed-to-food”—XII international meat technology symposium “NODA 2010”, “Meattechnology, quality and safety”, Novi Sad, pp 117–125Google Scholar
- Petrović LJ, Džinić N, Ikonić P, Tasić T, Tomović V (2011) Quality and safety standardization of traditional fermented sausages. Tehnologija mesa 2:234–244Google Scholar
- Santos MHS (1996) Biogenic amines: their importance in foods. Int J Food Microbiol 29: 213–231Google Scholar
- Serbian Regulations 31/201. (2012) In Službeni list, Beograd, SCG 31, p 11Google Scholar
- Settanni L, Moschetti G (2014) New trends in technology and identity of traditional dairy and fermented meat production processes: preservation of typicality and hygiene. Trends Food Sci Technol 37: 51–58Google Scholar
- Škaljac S, Petrović LJ, Tasić T, Ikonić P, Jokanović M, Tomović V, Džinić N, Šojić B, Tjapkin A, Škrbić B (2014) Influence of smoking in traditional and industrial conditions on polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons content in dry fermented sausages (Petrovská klobása) from Serbia. Food Control 40:12–18CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Šojić B, Petrović LJ, Mandić A, Sedej I, Džinić N, Tomović V, Jokanović M, Tasić T, Škaljac S, Ikonić P (2013) Lipid oxidative changes in traditional dry fermented sausage Petrovská klobása during storage. Hemijska industrija, in press, doi: 10.2298/HEMIND130118024S
- Tomović V, Žlender B, Jokanović M, Tomović M, Šojić B, Škaljac S, Tasić T, Ikonić P, Šošo M, Hromiš N (2014) Technological quality and composition of the M. semimembranosus and M. longisimus dorsi from Large white and Landrace pigs. Agric Food Sci 23:9–18Google Scholar