Towards Benchmarking Scene Background Initialization
Given a set of images of a scene taken at different times, the availability of an initial background model that describes the scene without foreground objects is the prerequisite for a wide range of applications, ranging from video surveillance to computational photography. Even though several methods have been proposed for scene background initialization, the lack of a common groundtruthed dataset and of a common set of metrics makes it difficult to compare their performance. To move first steps towards an easy and fair comparison of these methods, we assembled a dataset of sequences frequently adopted for background initialization, selected or created ground truths for quantitative evaluation through a selected suite of metrics, and compared results obtained by some existing methods, making all the material publicly available.
KeywordsBackground initialization Video analysis Video surveillance
- 3.Chen, C.C., Aggarwal, J.: An adaptive background model initialization algorithm with objects moving at different depths. In: 15th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2008. ICIP 2008, pp. 2664–2667 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Maddalena, L., Petrosino, A.: The SOBS algorithm: what are the limits? In: Proc. CVPR Workshops, pp. 21–26, June 2012Google Scholar
- 6.Maddalena, L., Petrosino, A.: Background model initialization for static cameras. In: Bouwmans, T., Porikli, F., Hferlin, B., Vacavant, A. (eds.) Background Modeling and Foreground Detection for Video Surveillance, pp. 3-1-3-16. Chapman & Hall/CRC (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, Z., Simoncelli, E., Bovik, A.: Multiscale structural similarity for image quality assessment. In: Conference Record of the Thirty-Seventh Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 2004, vol. 2, pp. 1398–1402 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Yalman, Y., Erturk, I.: A new color image quality measure based on YUV transformation and PSNR for human vision system. Turkish J. of Electrical Eng. & Comput. Sci. 21, 603–612 (2013)Google Scholar