An Interactive Tool for Speed up the Analysis of UV Images of Stradivari Violins
UV fluorescence photography is widely use in the study of artworks, in particular for the analysis of historical musical instruments. This technique allows seeing important details which cannot be observed with visible light, such as retouching, different paints coats or worn areas. The complexity of the interpretation of the surface of a violin is proportional to its state of preservation: more alterations correspond to a more wide range of colors. We designed an interactive tool able to help the scientist to understand the composition of the surface and in particular the distribution of the colors on the entire instrument, avoiding perception illusion. The result is achieved using a quantized histogram in HSV color space. The tests were performed on UV imagery of the Stradivari violins collection stored by “Museo del Violino” in Cremona.
KeywordsCultural heritage Violin UV fluorescence Histogram analysis
- 2.Bertrand, L., Robinet, L., Cohen, S., Sandt, C., Le Ho, A., Soulier, B., Lattuati-Derieux, A., Echard, J.P.: Identification of the finishing technique of an early eighteenth century musical instrument using FTIR spectromicroscopy. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 399(9), 3025–3032 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Dondi, P., Lombardi, L., Malagodi, M., Licchelli, M., Rovetta, T., Invernizzi, C.:Semi automatic system for UV images analysis of historical musical instruments.In: Proc. SPIE 9527, Optics for Arts, Architecture, and Archaeology V, 95270H (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Dyer, J., Verri, G., Cupitt, J.: Multispectral Imaging in Reflectance and Photo-induced Luminescence modes: A User Manual. The British Museum, Charisma Project, pp. 81–85 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Meskaldji, K.; Boucherkha, S.; Chikhi, S.: Color quantization and its impact on color histogram based image retrieval accuracy. In: Proc. of First International Conference on The Networked Digital Technologies, NDT 2009, pp. 515–517 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Hsueh S.; Wu, H.: Building Specified Web-Searching Image Database Using Quantization-Color-Size Histogram, In: Proc. of International Symposium on Computer, Consumer and Control (IS3C), pp. 694–697 (2012)Google Scholar